Using a Kombucha SCOBY with beer wort.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hambone

Reaction score
Weird question, any idea what this would produce? I've got heaps of SCOBY's and little 5l container I could put some wort to see what might happen.

Any thoughts on techniques, ingredients etc for a 5l brew?
Cheers

Give it a shot and post the results!

I'm guessing it would be very similar to kombucha, just with a malty twang. Maybe like a malt vinegar.

Give it a shot and post the results!

I'm guessing it would be very similar to kombucha, just with a malty twang. Maybe like a malt vinegar.
Yeah suppose I'll just have to give it a shot. Some light malt extract, maybe some steeped grain and leftover hops.

Basic Brewing Radio did two attempts at a quick sour using a kombucha scoby. The first attempt caused bottle bombs, not sure how the second went.

Basic Brewing Radio did two attempts at a quick sour using a kombucha scoby. The first attempt caused bottle bombs, not sure how the second went.
Thanks, I'll try and find it.

Ok so here we go.

I made a simple wort of 1kg LME with 100g of steeped Crystal Malt. Brought to just shy of the boil to pasteurize. Cooled the wort and put into this 5l vessel.

IMG_20180114_113250.jpg

Then added some Kombucha starter and a SCOBY.

IMG_20180114_113350.jpg

According to Brewing Basics, I will let the SCOBY have it's way for a few days to sour the boil and add hops as I want and then ferment as usual with US05.

Here's hoping.

So you're still aiming for a 'beer' as we know it, i.e. hopped, boiled fermented wort? The approach there is pretty close to how a kettle sour is done.

If you were aiming for a more kombucha like drink, I would let it go and drink it when you've reached the desired level of kombucha-ness. As I understand the theory, boiling it would kill the supposed beneficial bacteria that kombucha is supposed to be about.

IMG_20180116_171359.jpg

Ok so day 3 in the FV.

Yeah I'm after a beer like a kettle soured beer. According to a you tube video you need to do the boil to kill the bacteria to avoid bottle bombs.

Milk the Funk has also been an excellent resource.

Thanks to Dan and Paulyman. Both those resources have been excellent.

A friend of mine has done an experiment similar to this.

Got 20L of golden ale wort (mostly pils malt, very low SRM) and added approx. 20 Lipton tea bags and a healthy SCOBY to it and let it go. It's been roughly 6-7 months so far and it's begun to taste quite lambic-y.
After 2-3 months we were convinced it was a dumper as it tasted and smelt foul but decided to leave it. I suppose it's similar to a long term sour in that bugs/bacteria continue to do their thing and eat up undesirable compounds and associated flavours. Will probably be ready to bottle shortly as gravity has stabilised and I wouldn't want it to sour any further

Latest posts

Back