Using A Cube With A 'breather Cap" As Secondary Ferm.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altone

Reaction score
I only have 3 fermenters and all are chugging along ATM but I have an ESB in a nochill waiting to be brewed and the yeast starter for it is almost ready to go.
Just wondering if anyone has used a cube with a "breather cap" similar to those used on brewshield bottles for a secondary ferment.

I can't see an issue, as airborne particles wouldn't get in and excess gas could escape.
I just don't want to find out afterwards that it was a bad idea.

Let me know if you've done it in the past, and of course, your results.

Well yes, if I understand your equipment correctly, I've used cubes for secondary, in fact I use cubes for primary quite often too.
I'll often NC about 20 litres into a 25 litre cube, then after its cooled I'll open it, shake it up and then pour in some yeast, cover the cap with film and toss into the fermenting fridge. No dramas at all!
I used to do just secondaries in a cube with film, originally I had a bubbler mounted in the cap, but after a few of those I figured it wasn't that different to primary so tried it and it worked fine.
That answer your question? :unsure:
Edit: In fact I seldom use a secondary at all, but that's because clarity isn't an issue for me most of the time.

Everything in cubes / jerry cans for me. Can fit more of them in the fridge!

I don't put the lid on very tight - just enough to hold it on. Once I screwed it up real tight - force of habit. There was some pressure a week later, and the beer was lightly carbed :D

InCider.

Thanks RdeVjun and InCider, I'll give it a go then...

Don't normally have this many brews going, but I ran out of beer :eek:

...ok, i give up.

What's a brewing cube?

I recently brewed in a cube. Bottling today or tomorrow.

All I did was wrap the opening in glad wrap, then screw the lid on about half way. To my mind it's not amazingly different from fermenting with glad wrap and a rubber band over your fermenter. Went from 1055 to 1010 no worries. Tastes uninfected so far.

The only issue would be head space for Krausen in primary, secondary this wont be an issue so go for it I say! :icon_cheers:

Yeah, space for a wild krausen is an issue, but only in primary.

Cleaning off a stubborn high water mark can be tricky but firstly there's napisan, pop a wash cloth in and shake it up next while I also heard lately that some guys use rice as an abrasive (more shaking I presume), but I've not had to try it. I'd imagine any coarse grain would do, but I wouldn't waste precious malted barley like that!

Also, getting a bit OT here, but being able to fit four in a fermenting fridge is very handy, I had this a few times back in autumn when, after staggering the pitchings, the heat from one batch fermenting kept it just perfect around 18C while the thermal mass from 80- 90 litres means that it made it through the cool nights without a hot water bottle. Winter was a challenge though.

Hey RdeVjun,

I just use napisan and let it soak 24 hours to a week depending on the amount of krausen. No worries - never needed to scrub - even with stouts and nottingham yeasts! Easy to shake to compared to the 'old fashioned and soon to be redundant drum fermenters' :ph34r:

Cheers,

InCider

Drum fermenters redundant! ROTF! :lol: I nearly fell off my chair!

Yeah InCider, I've only had one really bad high- water mark and needing extra effort, some 1469 no less, its still soaking but coming good.

Must remember I am probably one of the world's laziest brewer though, if there's a short cut to be had, I'll soon sniff it out... :icon_cheers:

I use my cube for secondary ferment every time. I have no other fermenter so no other choice. I just loosely tighten the lid. Perhaps 1 turn only. THe lid is on the thread but loose which means gas can get out and hopefully nothing back in.

So far so good.

The cube has nice big feet on it that capture all the sediment in the secondary.

I use my cube for secondary ferment every time. I have no other fermenter so no other choice. I just loosely tighten the lid. Perhaps 1 turn only. THe lid is on the thread but loose which means gas can get out and hopefully nothing back in.

So far so good.

The cube has nice big feet on it that capture all the sediment in the secondary.

Yeah, the one I'm using actually has a breather in the lid, but decided to play it safe and wrap a bit of Gladwrap over it
held in place with a rubber band.

As for working hard to clean a krausen band off it - hell, I'll chuck t away and get another freebie from my local Chinese take away (I get empty 25l vinegar containers off them for nix)

i have a couple of breather lids for my cubes - yeah they are great for secondarying - no issues here.

Cube for secondary fermentation lagering etc is great as it save a lot of space.
I can fit 2 of these in fermenter fridge and another in keg fridge if needed.

Don't forget to plan how you are going to transfer beer for bottling or keg.

I didn't put a tap in one cube and put my lager in there for lagering.
By the time I had to put it in for a case swap I had to transfer beer by syphoning for bulk priming.
MAtti

I just use napisan and let it soak 24 hours to a week depending on the amount of krausen. No worries - never needed to scrub...

AHA! I've been getting in there with one of the weirdest-looking homemade tools ever seen. A cross between a coat hanger and a molotov cocktail. Will try your napisan no-scrub method.

AHA! I've been getting in there with one of the weirdest-looking homemade tools ever seen. A cross between a coat hanger and a molotov cocktail. Will try your napisan no-scrub method.

Post a pic Nick! :D

Please send all royalties to... AHB for teaching me :)

Post a pic Nick! :D

Please send all royalties to... AHB for teaching me :)

The Molotov Buckethandle.

IMG_0428.jpg

Back