Using a bung fridge in Summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
When I purchased a new fridge I kept the old one with an eye to Summer brewing. The compressor is bung and I've not fixed it. I use it as an insulated brewing box. By adding a couple of frozen water bottles in the morning and evening it's pretty easy to control the temperature. I've noticed that I can cut back on the ice after the first few days (seems more heat is generated during the initial fermentation).

I'd say that it's easier to run a fridge with a temp controller but so far this is working very well and I'm pleased with the results. There's room for a bucket fermenter and a jerrycan secondary.

cheers
reg

I have a similar sort of setup I use for aging but because the thermostat and compressor stuffed themselves up I put a thermostat insulated any cables from the outside, wrapped in towels and spray with water during the hotter days, so far it's done the trick nicely with days in excess of 37 degrees.

Latest posts

Back