Using 8g CO2 soda bulbs in your Tap King

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looking into Tapking as a cheap kegging setup. What is the advantage of going for the 8g bulbs instead of the 12g ezychargers or the minireg+16gr bulbs? (I'm assuming cost?)

8g bulbs can be purchased cheaply from your local hospitality store.
They're also a little cheaper than the bigger ones for obvious reasons.

The 12g can't be purchased from stores at least not that I've found, only online.
8g are stocked at more places including Kitchen stores and even some convenience stores (cheaper).
16g are also stocked at bike shops and brew shops. Advantage other than size is that it can be changed part way through a bottle without disconnecting Tap.

ok, cool - so cheaper, and still serve a whole bottle. sounds good. Over time would 16gr and the minikeg regulator pay for itself?

Obviously these trials are still in the early stages of development. But in relation to naturally carbing the TK bottles, wouldn't any sediment be gone in the first pour or so?

I know there will be sediment which will all settle to the bottom once the bottle is laid on its side. Wouldn't the tube draw up all the sediment before eventually clearing?
I would like to naturally carb half a dozen TK bottles for rainy days. Not going to bother if sediment is an issue.

just finished playing with one to get it to pierce properly found 7 5 cents and a piece of silicon bake tray worked perfectly.
just about to start modding the second one.

second one modded. now to chill the very first one i did down and change the head to a modded one.

ok, cool - so cheaper, and still serve a whole bottle. sounds good. Over time would 16gr and the minikeg regulator pay for itself?
I short, no. The mini regulator will be a one off cost but it won't save you any money long term over the 8g setup.

From what I've found so far, the cost of the different CO2 cartridges is similar no matter which size you buy. If you hunt around and buy bulk you should be sweet either way.

Given that the 12g cartridges are more than enough to pour a whole bottle, I'd say they are the most wasteful option.

found the bulbs in big W for 10 bucks a pack yesterday so they should be most of the big w’s

mrTbeer said:
Advantage other than size is that it can be changed part way through a bottle without disconnecting Tap.
Forgive my ignorance, how? I thought the idea with the 8s is that they just replace what normally does in the lid?

think it was or it could of been 8 didnt really pay that much attention. did also find them at essential ingredient in balmain for about 7.50

Diggs you've taken that out of context. 16g can be changed. 8g and 12g cannot.

Diggs you've taken that out of context. 16g can be changed. 8g and 12g cannot.
Precisely.
You can't change a bulb without releasing any gas that's left. I'm pretty sure the 16g with mini reg gives you a little more leeway in that regard.

MrTbeer, do you think it would be possible to swap out 3.2L bottles mid use with a tap on the low pressure side of the mini regulator? That would be a good mod.

If you do it with a half full 12g it shreds the little black o ring that slots into the on board regulator.

Yeah that'd be good as you'd be able to leave the reg on the same pressure without dialing in each time.

barls said:
found the bulbs in big W for 10 bucks a pack yesterday so they should be most of the big w’s
Barls whereabouts in the storw did you find these? And what are calling them when you ask store people for them? All I'm getting is blank faces and no..

Not all stores sell them. There was a push to have them banned a while back to stop kids blowing stuff up with them.
They generally keep them behind the counter from what I've heard.

The local hospitality store was cheaper and easier for me.

lael said:
Barls whereabouts in the storw did you find these? And what are calling them when you ask store people for them? All I'm getting is blank faces and no..
it was top ryde mate, and they were with the mr beer units. didnt pay attention to what they were calling them.
so in homewares and with the home brew section.

They look like this, if it helps...

beerCo2.jpg

Latest posts

Back