Using 8g CO2 soda bulbs in your Tap King

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisyummy

Reaction score
Nice work Beerisyummy, will follow and post results of second O ring soon. About to head into Supercheap to buy an O ring kit.

Ok. So I'm back home after a +4hr drive and I just cracked another TK bottle.

I don't have any 8g bottles to test until tomorrow, but I do have something else to report in relation to the amount of gas needed for each bottle.

Firstly, a picture of the first glass poured out of a new bottle into a warm glass. This is with the regulator dialled back 2/3 of a turn.

20130915_195321.jpg

This is the second bottle I've used in this fashion. After a few glasses I just turn the reg back up and jamb it in the fridge for another day.

The big difference came when I used the last of the beer up and needed to empty the bottle of gas. I could've poured another two and a halve schooners easily.

Going on what others have posted about the 8g cartridges falling short, running the regulator at a lower pressure while pouring should yield a good pour and get the bottle emptied.

Another pic I've already posted before. It's just a stripped down unit that might help others feel brave enough to pull one apart. I hope to add some more detailed parts breakdowns soon.
20130907_183527.jpg

PS. Loving the good use for 5c coins MrTbeer!

I have some 12g bulbs from ezychargers I am going to use up first but am interested to see how the 8g ones will go.

I think I read somewhere that the TK reg is dialled for around 2.5 vol. If my HB is carbonated to around this level, does anyone know if the 8g bulbs will definitely last or do you need to dial the TK reg down a bit like beerisyummy said to have enough Co2 to empty a bottle?

I have some 12g bulbs from ezychargers I am going to use up first but am interested to see how the 8g ones will go.

I think I read somewhere that the TK reg is dialled for around 2.5 vol. If my HB is carbonated to around this level, does anyone know if the 8g bulbs will definitely last or do you need to dial the TK reg down a bit like beerisyummy said to have enough Co2 to empty a bottle?
Hi Bats,

I only started dialling down the regulator in order to stop the crazy foaming you can get on the TK. The first glass is normally foamy. On top of that mine doesn't fit in the kitchen fridge, which means it gets warmer as I go and the foaming begins.

I'm pretty sure I've nailed a simple method of modifying the TK to take an 8g Co2 cartridge. Stay posted for more info on that.

My first experiment with the 8g cartridge was to see just how much water it would displace. Now I know there's more to it than this, but I did a basic run anyway to see what happens.

It goes something like this;
-Fill up the TK bottle to the brim with cold tap water. 18c.
-Engage bottle with head unit and pierce co2 cartridge.
-Give the bottle 30 seconds or so to equalise.
-Pour contents into a 2l Pyrex measuring jug until the gas runs out.

3.5l later and there was around half a middys worth of gas left.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a similar result when I strap on a fully carbed bottle of beer. In a weeks time I'll have a few ready to go or my kegs will arrive and I'll force carb some fresh beer.

Time will tell.

PS. The other awesome thread that helped me start on Tap King modifications.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/74869-pimp-my-tapking/

anyone got a pic of the bulb sitting in the right place ie not too high not too low.
having trouble getting it to puncture it atm.
also which way did you adjust the reg? might do this as well.

anyone got a pic of the bulb sitting in the right place ie not too high not too low.
having trouble getting it to puncture it atm.
also which way did you adjust the reg? might do this as well.
I tried to take a shot mate. It doesn't really show what you need.

The correct height on my rig is 6-7 5c coins.

I'm in the middle of writing a post on how to do my mod and that should help.

ive got the 6 in there. might try 7 tomorrow, i know 8 is too high no movement at all.
can anyone confirm that in its normal position the pin is slightly inside the unit ie about 2-3 mm.

Alright, here goes.

As I said, I'm pretty sure I've nailed it using just parts from the TK. I'll be leaving a bottle hooked up for a week to see if it loses pressure before I'm sure.

The only extra part involved is an extra white washer from another tap king lid. I'm sure there are many substitutes that could be found.

Pictures speak a thousand words. Let's start there.

Start off by disassembling your lid like so.
20130916_163720.jpg

Take the yellow plastic part and shave a 45 degree chamfer on the inside top edge. This turns the two plastic parts into a compression fitting when screwed together.
20130916_163806.jpg

You know you've shaved off enough when the rubber seal fits snugly while on the neck of the 8g bottle.
20130916_163850.jpg

From here you will need to push the bottle through the white plastic collar. Push the o ring over the bottle. Add 2x the little white washers that came out of the yellow plastic part. Don't forget to add the pin in the usual spot before assembly.
20130916_164004.jpg

Once you have that lot in hand you can carefully screw the white collar and yellow sleeve together. It will look like this when done. Don't go too hard on the pliers as a good snug fit is enough. The two parts didn't fit against each other tightly when I did mine and it still works just fine.
20130916_164131.jpg

Throw in 7x 5c coins and drop the cartridge assembly in. These work but they are leaving stress marks on the cartridge holder along the leading edge. Cutting down an old bottle as an extension would be a better long term solution.
20130916_164251.jpg

Reassemble the lid. If you don't understand each part, take the time to work out what they all do. If you have any problems it will help.
20130916_164821.jpg

From here you can just throw the lid on a bottle and use as you need.

The only downside to this method is the use of the extra white washer from another TK lid. An easy problem to solve if you have half a brain.
The original system relies on a double seal on the head of the co2 cartridge. Copy that and you'll be fine. Both are very important.

I did have two other modifications that would work, but this one is the most simple. They both involved machining the yellow plastic part to fit suitable o rings.
They work fairly well so don't stop exploring that avenue.

Someone with a mini lathe could easily manufacture a work around.

HTH.
Ross.

I had 7 and a washer in there and it seemed pretty darn close. But then I had an unfortunate accident involving a screw, a drill bit and a slip of the hand...... Hand fine but TK collar did not survive! Currently draining another bottle now, glass by glass, and then will get back on the modify wagon!

Nice work Beerisyummy. Just as well I have a spare TK bottle top!!!!

EDIT: Keen to see how the pressure goes over the week and if we are then able to change gas without undoing all over again. Would be nice to just pull the cylinder and replace as would with the 12's.

Thanks for the great post Ross, pretty much clear up all the questions that I had.

No problems guys.

I'm a sucker for figuring out what makes things tick. Some like crosswords, this is my thing.

Be careful with those tools HJ. I'm very familiar with the sensation you get when a drill skips and you end up drilling into you're own palm or finger.
It hurts like a bitch and thankfully it doesn't happen much these days.
I always try to plan for the worst case scenario with any tool. God knows I've seen them all at some stage.

If someone has a metal work lathe I'd love to see some work done on the collar.

Anyone come up with a decent source for the 8gm bulbs? Not a lot of them on FleaBay.

catering stores, coles and woolies

barls said:
catering stores, coles and woolies
Ok cool. I hoped that was the case, just surprised not to see them online. Cheers

they are soda syphon bulbs

Got there eventually by following your pics, not sure best way to do chamfer i used a pen knife but it looks tight. Here's a pic with 8,12,16g bulbs.
8g loaded ready to go.
12g is spent but loaded in normal TK way.
16g is just for scale, it's too fat to go in.

I've been using the 16g external reg as I had them at home already for bikes.
Haven't ordered any 12g online yet but have used a couple TK 12g to push my beer after getting TK beer from bottle using 16g.
Bought some 8g from Kitchen shop and after 1st one leaked wasn't sure what to do with other 9, now I know, Cheers.

image.jpg

Next I will hacksaw the end of a spent 12g to make a wedge and save 35c in coins.
The No2 bulbs at NightOwl are same size as 8g Co2 bulbs, in theory you've just figured out a way to pour Guinness through the TK. Might be wrong there these ones are N not NO2, cool website http://morebeer.com/products/nitrogen-cartridge-18g.html

Latest posts

Back