Uses for extra specialty malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzachaz

Reaction score
A friend of mine was at a fire sale of a closing down local brewery and brought me some malt.
Unfortunately he didnt know the difference between base and speciality malt so now I have about 60kg of 'brown', 'black', and 'roasted barley' malts.

What can I do with it?

Can it be processed into something a bit longer lasting or am i going to end up having to toss it?

I full grain brew once every 2-3 months so it would take me a long time to use in my own brews

The brown can be used in styles up to 50% ie a brown ale. It’s a great malt.

Black is a highly misunderstood malt, but again it is hard to use in high proportions. In the right beer style you could make up 10-20% of the grist with black malt.

Roast barley can only be used in stouts as a serious proportion of the grist.

Unmilled it will store for a while (24 months maybe?) but will then lose some flavour as well as mash efficiency. If you know someone with a still then make a few high gravity washes and get your whisky on!

Otherwise post it up for sale on here if it's fresh enough

Either would be fine. Easier to use large quantities of the brown than the black or roasted barley.

I cant make the meeting Wed, but I can bag up the malts for someone to pick up? Let me know if you're interested. I can provide unmilled/milled if you let me know.
Dont want it to go to waste.

I did a brew with the brown on the weekend. Only got to 1.032 so (as expected) i'm going to be lucky to get to 2% ABV. That's a lot of work to get whiskey so I dont think I will do another run.

Back