Uses for Citric Acid?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoose

Reaction score
Hey all, so I was recently reading about cleaning stainless and a couple of people mentioned using citric acid. Now from what I understand citric acid is a natural chemical and seems to be quite handy.

So after doing a bit of a search I seemed to come up a bit short on the info that I was after, so I'm putting the question out there.

What do you use it for in the brewery, and what ratio do you use? Hot / Cold wash? Do you rinse afterwards? Anybody use it in the mash instead of salts?

Thanks in advance.

I use it to clean the elements in the keggle,I haven't measured how much water I use to cover the elements by about 50 mm but I'm guessing it would be close to 10 litres and I add a teaspoon full of citric acid in,stir and heat but not boiling.
I have left the mix in the keggle overnight but usually a few hours does the trick,once it has cooled enough not to scald my hand I then scrub the elements ( Kmart kettle elements ) with a stiff bristled toothbrush ,drain then rinse well and dry.
Cheers..spog...

I use either caustic soda or tricleanium as first clean in place process in my HERMS, drain, add 5 litres and then add some citric acid, neutralises the caustic soda and leaves whole system acidic for the next run.

Can also be used when making candi sugar which may be more exciting than using it for cleaning.

cleans copper as well

best in warm / hot water

Back