Quantcast

Uses for Citric Acid?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Tahoose

Reaction score
Hey all, so I was recently reading about cleaning stainless and a couple of people mentioned using citric acid. Now from what I understand citric acid is a natural chemical and seems to be quite handy.

So after doing a bit of a search I seemed to come up a bit short on the info that I was after, so I'm putting the question out there.

What do you use it for in the brewery, and what ratio do you use? Hot / Cold wash? Do you rinse afterwards? Anybody use it in the mash instead of salts?

Thanks in advance.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
I use it to clean the elements in the keggle,I haven't measured how much water I use to cover the elements by about 50 mm but I'm guessing it would be close to 10 litres and I add a teaspoon full of citric acid in,stir and heat but not boiling.
I have left the mix in the keggle overnight but usually a few hours does the trick,once it has cooled enough not to scald my hand I then scrub the elements ( Kmart kettle elements ) with a stiff bristled toothbrush ,drain then rinse well and dry.
Cheers..spog...

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I use either caustic soda or tricleanium as first clean in place process in my HERMS, drain, add 5 litres and then add some citric acid, neutralises the caustic soda and leaves whole system acidic for the next run.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I use it to drop mash ph

supertonio

Reaction score
Can also be used when making candi sugar which may be more exciting than using it for cleaning.

Maheel

Reaction score
cleans copper as well

best in warm / hot water