Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to reboil the wort as it has already been through that process. Leave the lot in the kettle overnight, rack off the next day to your fermenter and set aside your 2lts for the starter. Even when its cold the temp the day after the boil will still be around 23c. (26c in current Sydney temps) Pitch your yeast to the starter and keep your wort at pitch temp until the stater kicks off.

Cheers, Hoges.

I generally don't start fermenting for 4 to 5 days after brew day, so the wort stays safely sealed in the cube.

The reason I boil the wort for the starter is because I kick it off with a very small amount of yeast and then over the next few days step it up a couple of times. This means the glass container holding the wort reserved for the starter has been opened a few times exposing it to whatever happens to be floating around at the time. It's easy to just tip what I need into an erlenmyer flask, boil it for 10 mins, cool it then shake the bejesus out of it to aerate it, then pour it into the starter flask.

cheers

nifty

Hi.
Tried my first "no-chill" today its an APA lookin forward to drinking the results.

If it's a success then there is no way im goin back to chillin the wort it saved so much time and water, fingers crossed....

Will definatly post results...

Cheers..

Racked the APA today and gravity read 1.008 from 1.052 no off flavours at all just a little green @the moment but it did have 170g of hops in it.

Cant wait for the end result but i have done 3 other "no chiller" brews since the APA and also convinced two mates to give it a go .

Cheers

I am also using this method now since moving to our new place.

If I had a rainwater tank and I could save the water I would still use a chiller.
Have made 4 brews so far.

Am Drinking the first, an APA and just bottled an Aussie ale and Wheat beer today. Still have an APA in a cube waiting for the starter to fire.

I have not noticed any difference in taste from the first brew so far and the 2 I bottled today seemed fine as well.

cheers
johnno

I'm interested to know how many brewers put no-chill brews into their Christmas case without telling the other contributors?

Did anyone pick DMS? Blind or otherwise?

Anyone rushed to emergency with botulism?

I don't think my bock's killed anyone yet.

Real quick question.
I'm into the boil now for my first ever No Chill.
I've calculated the recipe for dilution eg. will have a no chill container of 15 litres that I plan to add 6 litres to to get 21 litres. No problem there.
Just thinking if I should increase the IBU's to account for the dilution as well.
Anyone ?
I've got 15 mins before the first hop addition ......

Doc

Doc, I might be too late to answer your question, but if you are diluting to your original target then I think you will be OK, if not then you may be watering the IBUs down.

cheers

Browndog

Thanks Browndog.
Also got a reply from Duff (via SMS) to say that the IBU's will be fine.
Phew, as this is a Wiezen so their is minimal hops in it anyway, so didn't want the result to be like there was none at all :p

Doc

I would try beersmith for an accurate recipe. The increased gravity of the wort will make the hop utilisation lower.
Cheers

I would try beersmith for an accurate recipe. The increased gravity of the wort will make the hop utilisation lower.
Cheers

Thanks GreggJ, but I'd already adjusted for that (thanks to Promash).

Beers,
Doc

Also Doc, be aware that some "15L" cubes are calibrated to the mark around the edge, not full to the brim. Make sure you have enough wort to fill it or you'll end up with something like this:

hot_wort_cooled.jpg

That beer turned out fine, btw.

Also Doc, be aware that some "15L" cubes are calibrated to the mark around the edge, not full to the brim. Make sure you have enough wort to fill it or you'll end up with something like this:

hot_wort_cooled.jpg

That beer turned out fine, btw.

Cheers PoMo. I have an extra litre or two in the boil just in case. Fingers crossed.

Beers,
Doc

Well I got up this morning, went outside to find an uncleaned kettle :blink: and two No Chill Worts of Doctors Orders Weizen :beerbang:

Doc

NoChillWeizen_002__Large_.jpg

Looks great doc, are they fresh wort kit containers?

I have a few but they all had really stubbon bits of wort on the side that wouldnt come off even after a long soak in bleach...whats your secret?

I have a few but they all had really stubbon bits of wort on the side that wouldnt come off even after a long soak in bleach...whats your secret?

Yes they are.
I gave them a really good rinse after using them to get all the FW Wort out.
Gave them a quick hot rinse, before filling with PSR and leaving overnight. All good and clean after that.

Beers,
Doc

Blake,
I use dishwashing powder to soak the cube.

I find it chews through anything organic.

I then bleash at the end to sanitise.

Festa.

Ill try fester but this is a tough stain. I tried a bleach soak for a day or two and it did squat.

I do have some caustic soda, can you use that on plastic?

Latest posts

Back