Used wyeast 2112 - Cali lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaselEstateBrewery

Reaction score
I created a starter from this and it had an unusual smell. Didn't smell off or anything, it smelled kinda really sweet - hard to describe scent.

I thought it may have been a dodgy vial so I tipped it and created another starter - same thing. The starter wort is sound and I have made 2 beers from the same batc 3 months ago, both which were great.

Just wondering if this unusual smell is a characteristic of this yeast?

Hard to say man? I used a cali lager yeast a while back and it had an unusual quality about it. If you use the steam beer ferment temps 18, 19 deg C it gives off some odd flavours, bready and sweet, which is kinda what you want with a steam beer but if you use lower ferment temps...I got one to ferment out at 9 deg c its a super clean tasting lager yeast. If it tastes ok then Its prob ok?

Sweetness (smell) could be something else though......not 100% certain.

Yeah that's a good description, bready and sweet. I think you're right, i have the starter at room temperature and being a lager yeast it exhibits a different character. Tastes OK, definitely not off (could pick that a mile away). Thanks!

Latest posts

Back