Used to help Dad brew.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altpferd

Reaction score
When I was a kid I used to help my dad with his home brew. I've forgotten everything but purchased a secondhand Cooper's brew set up with 55 Cooper's glass bottles and am busy relearning. Already bottled some non alcoholic ginger beer ready for Christmas and have started a wort for draught beer. Currently using Cooper's kits but hope to move on to recipes after I've found my feet. It's nice to meet you all and I hope to learn a lot from you guys and gals. Cheers.

Hi and welcome, my brothers and I all used to help our Dad brew and still do go around there and give him a hand occasionally he's been brewing for 45 years so he has passed on a lot, he brewed in a bag most of those years, something he learned off his Grandmother.
Certainly good bonding and we got told lots of stories, is your Dad still brewing?

wide eyed and legless said:
Hi and welcome, my brothers and I all used to help our Dad brew and still do go around there and give him a hand occasionally he's been brewing for 45 years so he has passed on a lot, he brewed in a bag most of those years, something he learned off his Grandmother.
Certainly good bonding and we got told lots of stories, is your Dad still brewing?
You sure BIAB was around that long ago or are you talking about some other brew in a bag?

Cheers Partial Man, dad passed on in April, brewing is bringing back good memories though. He had a Brigalow kit.

Welcome aboard mate. Sorry to hear about your dad, but it is great that you have the good memories of him, which you are reminded of every time you brew.

Plenty of good info on here, some good laughs and the odd thread which makes you shake your head. You'll soon discover that it is a very slippery slope and before you know it you'll have more gear than you know what to do with, and will see brewing potential in all manner of plumbing and household items.

JD

Sorry to hear that about your Dad mate. As for brew in a bag that was around in the 60's when my Dad started brewing and he tells me his Grandmother was doing it over 60 years ago and he reckons she would have got it from her mother, then it was the grain tied up in muslin. Now he uses the Braumeister reckons its the Bees Knees he's on his second one since 2007 or 8

Sorry to hear about your dad. My son brews with me, and my gandson's have helped me when brewing. One grandson helped me bottle a beer which won at ANHC, he remembers this batch the best.

Screwy

Brew in a bag sounds interesting. Might move to that next if it's not too complicated.

altpferd said:
Brew in a bag sounds interesting. Might move to that next if it's not too complicated.
definitely give it a go, you won't go back :)

it's super simple.

Latest posts

Back