Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

Used grain for farmers.

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Roosterboy, 25/9/18.

1. Roosterboy

Posted 25/9/18
    I was talking to a farmer from out west NSW who says they are even using waste from lolly factories to feed their stock. Anything with energy in it . Spent grain is really useful not so much for any sugars that may be left but the rotting grain produces a massive biomass that ruminants can digest and take the energy from.
    It would be good if their was a system to deposit spent grain into for farmers.

ABG likes this.
  2. EmptyB

Posted 25/9/18
    Proteins remain in spent grain and for that reason it's very good feed for livestock, even chickens. If anyone ever has trouble getting rid of spent grain chuck an ad on Gumtree advertising it as chicken feed and you'll definitely have someone come along. Trade it for eggs. Everyone wins.

3. FarsideOfCrazy

Posted 25/9/18
    Yep the guy 2 doors up from me has chooks. I drop off the spent grain in a bucket. Pick up the bucket and sometimes, when he has too many, a dozen eggs the next day. Apparently the chickens go nuts for it when he throws it in the coop.

4. Rocker1986

Posted 25/9/18
    The people behind us have chickens but they're bitches so I ain't giving the grain to them. I put up a post on Fakebook marketplace last brew day, had a few replies but none of them followed through and actually came to get the grains. I'll try again next time lol . Would give it to farmers too but none around here and by the time it got to them it'd be manky anyway.

razz likes this.
  5. Roosterboy

Posted 25/9/18
    That's sort of the point I was making , the more manky it is the better. Ruminants get the energy from the bacteria and fungus the more the better.

Rocker1986 likes this.
  6. CDS01

Posted 26/9/18
    Recently went to Stone and Wood for a sample and tour. They have a farmer come in and use the spent grain for his livestock. What an absolute legendary scheme to be involved in.
    Although we as home brewers don’t have the amount of spent grain to make this a practical venture I like the fact that you guys are thinking outside the bubble and finding ways to reduce our wastage.
    Now to find me a local chicken farmer.

Garagebrew likes this.
  7. Peregrine

Posted 26/9/18
    I have two pregnant mares in the paddock. Brew day is a special one for them :D

wide eyed and legless likes this.