Use Of Oxyper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

In a couple of other threads I mentioned the problem I've had lately with a couple of batches being overcarbonated and the likely cause being an infection in some of the PET bottles that I use.

As a result I've decided to improve my sanitation regime with the use of Oxyper. Other than the mixing ratio (7g/L), and that it must be rinsed, I can't find any information about how long the Oxyper mixture should be applied to the bottles.

Is there a recommended contact/soaking time when using Oxyper?

Cheers,

Chris

As far as I understand, oxyper is pure sodium percarbonate.

Plenty of info around on that.

If a whole batch is overcarbonated, I would look elsewhere at the cause. A few bottles in a batch might be infection or it might be trub in the last few.

The best thing you can do is rinse out your PET's with warm water immediately after drinking them. It's only a five second job, but it's pretty important and will save you time in the end. Before I bottle, I just rinse with hot water again and starsan the bottles. Never had an infection since using PET's.

However, if you do want to give your bottles a good clean every so often, you can use sodium percarbonate. I used to use it but found it harsh on the old skin, so you may wanna use gloves.

These days to clean my brewing gear I use enzyme and fragrance free ALDI brand napisan (sky blue bottle), usually seperate from the other ALDI napisans which I had a difficult time locating in their stores.

As far as quantities go, I just tip a lid's worth in the laundry sink and dissolve with hot water then fill up with warm water. Overnight for a real good soaking, or just a couple of hours will do the trick.

I use the napisan only to get krausen and shit off my fermenter or if I wanna give my urn a good soaking, but as I send before if you maintain a good rinsing regime you shouldn't need to use sodium percarbonate too often.

Bowie

Back