Usa Co2 Regulator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curry

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been given for free a regulator with dual outlines whilst I am in the USA.

Does anyone know if it will fit our Australian CO2 bottles threads?

If not, can I buy an additional nut to make the threads fit?

Cheers

Dave

Hey Guys,

I have been given for free a regulator with dual outlines whilst I am in the USA.

Cheers

Dave

I scored an old BOC reg ages ago that i could not find thread to suit.
After searching high and low with no luck I found a local 'bolt bloke' who machined me a small adapter for about 30 bucks. Works a treat.

who machined me a small adapter for about 30 bucks. Works a treat.

Be careful with these type of adapters as you are using it on the high pressure side. If the adapter isn't pressure rated there is a possibility it can rupture and kill someone.

Hey Guys,

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave.
I came Across a site that sold the actual replacement nuts. jbbrewsupplies.com.au
You actually unscrew the inlet, remove the existing nut, then put on the new nut and screw the inlet back on. (i would get a plumber/gasfitter to do this for me).
A nut can be taken of an existing regulator that is stuffed.

Hi Dave.
I came Across a site that sold the actual replacement nuts. jbbrewsupplies.com.au
You actually unscrew the inlet, remove the existing nut, then put on the new nut and screw the inlet back on. (i would get a plumber/gasfitter to do this for me).

Hello.
I'm from the US. Make sure it is a Primary regulator. What brand is it? Some brands will use a left hand thread on the high-press side. This may vary from older models to newer as well. The common thread is 1/4" pipe thread (1/4" PT). 1/4" LH pipe thread being an alternate for newer regs.

I've haven't heard of a death but I have emptied a big tank of CO2 because of putting a secondary on a high press line. If I lived in an air tight campervan it would have killed me.

If I lived in an air tight campervan it would have killed me.

Its not the CO2 that will kill you, its the flying bits of metal when it finally gives way to the 1000 odd psi from the bottle.

Its not the CO2 that will kill you, its the flying bits of metal when it finally gives way to the 1000 odd psi from the bottle.
Co2 WILL Kill you, along with the flying bits.
It displaces the oxygen, so if he did live in an airtight campervan, the Co2 would suffocate him overnight.

Co2 WILL Kill you, along with the flying bits.
It displaces the oxygen, so if he did live in an airtight campervan, the Co2 would suffocate him overnight.

You're 100% right - I should have said its not JUST the CO2 that will kill you.

:icon_offtopic: well a bit anyway, are pommy regulators, 5/8ths bsp compatible with aussie cylinders?

I have a hard time believing anything would explode and become shrapnel. A reg should just leak through either the vent or the diaphragm.

Its not the reg (they are rated to handle the bottle pressure) - its the adapter thats between the reg and the bottle that has close to 1000PSI being pushed through it.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread....dastream-reg..?

CO2 bottles are extremely high pressure - and can be very dangerous if not treated with respect.

edit: Not sure whats going on with the link - keeps adding quotes around it :huh:

Hi Dave.

That looks like just the the thing I need. Assuming it doesn't fit and by the sounds of it, it doesn't.

Cheers

Hello.
I'm from the US. Make sure it is a Primary regulator. What brand is it? Some brands will use a left hand thread on the high-press side. This may vary from older models to newer as well. The common thread is 1/4" pipe thread (1/4" PT). 1/4" LH pipe thread being an alternate for newer regs.

I've haven't heard of a death but I have emptied a big tank of CO2 because of putting a secondary on a high press line. If I lived in an air tight campervan it would have killed me.

The reg, doesn't appear to have a brand name on it.

It was given to me by a friend who works in a Homebrew store in LA. As it is a dual outflow reg, I'd really like to keep it rather than fork out for one here in Australia.

Forgive me as I am new to kegging (never kegged yet), I am just collecting gear as it so much cheaper in the states, plus I'm getting stuff for free. On the back of the reg, the line to bottle has "PRI LEFTHAND" written on it and the one to the Y fork outlet has SEC written on.

As Hammo said, can't I just replace the nut that slides on the pipe to the actually reg (forgive my lack of tech terms)?

I'll try and post some pics shortly.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers

Dave

The reg, doesn't appear to have a brand name on it.

It was given to me by a friend who works in a Homebrew store in LA. As it is a dual outflow reg, I'd really like to keep it rather than fork out for one here in Australia.

Forgive me as I am new to kegging (never kegged yet), I am just collecting gear as it so much cheaper in the states, plus I'm getting stuff for free. On the back of the reg, the line to bottle has "PRI LEFTHAND" written on it and the one to the Y fork outlet has SEC written on.

As Hammo said, can't I just replace the nut that slides on the pipe to the actually reg (forgive my lack of tech terms)?

I'll try and post some pics shortly.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers

Dave

Why not get one of these.....built in Cockroach monitor !
If the Cockroach dies.....you have a leaky regulator.

2012_04_22_16.39.43.jpg

As a bottle regulator, probably on a 9kg your ok for the regulatory side. But, for gas boards etc, there is a stupidly long standard that came through not so long ago. Thought I'd mention as it can impact buying them in, damm paper pushers ...

Super old thread but I picked up a bargin regarding in US ... well that's what I thought is it useless ?

Back