US05 yeast - slight after taste and dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have made a Morgan’s kit pacific ale with us 05 yeast. There is this after taste .. is it decityl (What does that taste / aroma like? )(spell check?) .. it’s not banana... and it’s seems dry.. don’t know what it is yeast or brew ... have not made pacific ale before. Brew pretty standard and no issues. It’s not bitter but not sweet but after taste makes it unpleasant...

thanks

Last edited:
Hi there,

I have made a Morgan’s kit pacific ale with us 05 yeast. There is this after taste .. is it decityl (What does that taste / aroma like? )(spell check?) .. it’s not banana... and it’s seems dry.. don’t know what it is yeast or brew ... have not made pacific ale before. Brew pretty standard and no issues. It’s not bitter but not sweet but after taste makes it unpleasant...

thanks

Mate, you might have an ultra sensitive pallete to certain things like me.
I stopped using US-05 years ago for this very reason. I could detect a slight plasticide type taste, almost like drinking water that's been in a bad quality plastic bottle. Very slight but noticeable.....To Me! Friends have tried the beers & can't figure out what I am talking about but it's there, I can taste it. Any recipes that call for US-05, I simply substitute with a liquid yeast like 1056 or 1272.
I hear ya buddy!

Last edited:
Interesting... could be... yes a really strange flavour... could be plasticy .. could not rarely describe it... thanks

is it soapy like?
I found us05 can give a detergent/soapy taste if over pitched

It was sachet .. 23 l so I cannot see it being over pitched ... not really soapy .. I’ll taste again tomorrow when taste buds fresh ..

I tried a mouthful this am. Mmmm not sure if was as bad... don’t it’s weird ... can your taste buds have bad days... :) it also might also its one of the first pulls... but it is definitely dry... and that makes it or the impression of bitterness or takes away sweetness ... don’t like it dry. Is pacific pale ale like that...?

Does this sound like a possibility?
Mark
1592015277541.png

1592015324190.png

Hi there,

thanks
Hi
Why dont you use morgans much better bigger pack and it is Australian. Gordon

I tried a mouthful this am. Mmmm not sure if was as bad... don’t it’s weird ... can your taste buds have bad days... :) it also might also its one of the first pulls... but it is definitely dry... and that makes it or the impression of bitterness or takes away sweetness ... don’t like it dry. Is pacific pale ale like that...?
What temperature did you pitch? What temperature did you ferment?

The yeast is very dry... which I think alters the flavour.... loss of sweetness... the aroma of the head is like a very very very slight cheese background... that’s what it seems .. but really subtle... probably better than last night.. and there is after taste I can just describe as unpleasant... cannot describe it...just not a good finish...

Ok thanks will try .. you mean the kit yeast or other.. if so what do you recommend?

I
24/20 degrees
Think I have found your problem. US-05 seems to be very touchy regarding temperature. 18C seems ideal. I have made a few of the Morgans Pacific Ale brews some years ago and with US-05, 18C for pitch and ferment for 7 days, slow ramp to 22C over next 7 days then cold crash. US05 needs a few extra days to clean up, add patience to your brew sheet.
Recently a friend who brews a Coopers draft kit with US-05 that turns out ok, on the last brew on day 2 there was a 12HR power failure, temp rose from 18c to 23c, the flavour of the finished beer was clearly below par. Hope this helps.

I

Think I have found your problem. US-05 seems to be very touchy regarding temperature. 18C seems ideal. I have made a few of the Morgans Pacific Ale brews some years ago and with US-05, 18C for pitch and ferment for 7 days, slow ramp to 22C over next 7 days then cold crash. US05 needs a few extra days to clean up, add patience to your brew sheet.
Recently a friend who brews a Coopers draft kit with US-05 that turns out ok, on the last brew on day 2 there was a 12HR power failure, temp rose from 18c to 23c, the flavour of the finished beer was clearly below par. Hope this helps.

Temp wasn't my problem.
18deg ferment for two weeks, one week at 2degC cold crash. Taste was there & all following beers using it. I even tried a different stainless fermenter to no avail. It's not a process or procedure problem for me. I don't know what the hell it is but I can taste it.

As above, Its well worth removing Chlorine from your water, using Campden will cost you about 5c/brew.
A plasticky flavour is one of the many ways low-level Chlorophenols are described.
Naturally if your sure its the worlds most popular dry yeast that's to blame, rather than failing to preform one of the most basic steps in good brewing practice - meh - choose another yeast.
Mark

Hi thanks first time I have used us05 yeast in ages, not had this before? Or with kit yeasts...

Latest posts

Back