Us04 On Top Of Wyeast 1728 - Have I Screwed Up?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Hi.

Got up this morning 8 hours after pitching the wyeast 1728 to find no sign of yeast activity in the fermenter.

Worried about the long lag time and nasty wild yeast taking hold I quickly pitched a sachet of US04 in to get it going. I won't have time to get another wyeast, not did I have time to do much at all before leaving

Will my brew be ok pitching different yeasts.

Brew was a biab smoked porter.

8 hours isn't very long at all for a lag phase IMO.

It'll probably be different, one might dominate the other or you might get aspects from both.

BTW, was it US-05, or S-04?

I would have given it more time. What was your volume/gravity, and did you build a starter?

I'd give yeast at least 24 hours before I started to worry.

Whew..thanks guys.

So the general consensus, is I probably won't ruin it. But might get aspects of the two yeasts come through.

Learning for me its don't panic...wait longer next time.

I think I might have pitched the wussy when it was too warm. Had fermenter in sink worth iced water for ages, looked at stock thermometer which was reading 26. Didn't think that it was more in contact with the cold water outside than the wort inside. Pitched and then watched as temp rose on the thermometer.

Probably pitched at about 30ish - perhaps this affected the first yeast.

Btw, yes it was S-04.

Thanks for the responses.

Latest posts

Back