US home brewer trying to make Australian beer for an Aussie friend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my mind there is no question...

Coopers pale ale or coopers sparkling. The reason why is that most of the more modern Aussie craft ales are simply americanised ales, which would not really remind one of the mother land...

Coppers however, is very Aussie in every aspect. I can imagine that it would remind any ex pat of home (think POR hops and coopers yeast).

Pride of ring wood hops and coopers recultured yeast, pale malts will produce a very nostalgic Aussie ale.

You can't loose with a coopers clone IMHO

+1 for the Coopers Ale. It's what I brew for my mates who aren't crafty - they can't get enough of it.

Frothie said:
+1 for the Coopers Ale. It's what I brew for my mates who aren't crafty - they can't get enough of it.
Got my first clone with the yeast bubbling away now. Can't wait to taste it. One thing I've noticed is the krausen is whiter than most yeast and the bubbles tighter, seems to be chewing through the sugars fast to.

I want to make a coopers pale clone but, I can only get the pre hoped can. Is that going to taste acurate? Or is their something I should do to make it taste right?

Will be close if you grow up some yeast from a few bottles of Coopers Pale Ale
The yeast with the can doesn't do a great job of replicating the original beer

Mad Brewer said:
I want to make a coopers pale clone but, I can only get the pre hoped can. Is that going to taste acurate? Or is their something I should do to make it taste right?
You will get close with the coopers international pale ale , pre hopped can, but as mentioned, you will need to re culture some coopers yeast from a few bottles of coopers pale.

The coopers strain of yeast is a real signature to their beer. The beer in reality is faily lightly hopped, and a fair degree of the flavour profile is attributed to the yeast.

A kit and kilo suggestion, very simple but effective.

1.7 kilo pale ale coopers kit
1.5 kilo very light liquid malt
Coopers recultured yeast from about 4 bottles
2 weeks to condition in fermenter.

If you are kegging, I would sugar prime the keg with dextrose.

Let sit for about 4 weeks to age in bottle/ keg...

Avoid dextrose IMO.

Brew at 18 degrees Celsius.

I think you will be surprised how close you would get... With this clone, temp control, yeast and simplicity are the key factors.

If you cant get Coopers Pale Ale yeast by culturing from a bottle, Whitelabs WL 009 will be close.

If you want to make an ordinary lager that is similar to what your mate would drink in a pub over here you could make him this.

. image.jpg

Use the grain percentage to make any volume that suits and choose a clean lager yeast.
Wyeast 2042 or a dry 34/70 will work just as well.

Mash at 65 deg c clear with finings and filter if possible.

Out of interest, why do you suggest fining/filtering? In SA it's served cloudy, like a hefeweizen.

Bar tenders roll the bottle to mix up the yeast, and I think some of the advertising even promotes it as being "cloudy but fine".

Kodos said:
Bar tenders roll the bottle to mix up the yeast, and I think some of the advertising even promotes it as being "cloudy but fine".
Which according to Dr Tim, is just a marketing thing
99% of bartenders around here won't roll the bottle, most likely because that advertising wasn't used here

Prince Imperial said:
Dicko's recipe was for a lager, not a coopers clone.
Indeed it was. My bad.

I've never really gone for the lager, personally. Coopers does ales best, IMHO.

sp0rk said:
Which according to Dr Tim, is just a marketing thing
99% of bartenders around here won't roll the bottle, most likely because that advertising wasn't used here
Interesting. I alway felt it tasted better with the yeast - and somehow the beer was cloudy from the keg as well (I have to admit, it's been a long time since I've had the beer in Adelaide off tap).

Kodos said:
Interesting. I alway felt it tasted better with the yeast - and somehow the beer was cloudy from the keg as well (I have to admit, it's been a long time since I've had the beer in Adelaide off tap).
Definately better with the yeast, when I reculture from the pale ale bottle I chill it right down snd pour a bright beer and can hardly drink it. Much prefer it cloudy with yeast.

Back