US 05 yeast action / bubble rate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon it must of been mid to early 70s that those black fermenters came on the scene. I met a bloke who had one of them split in half, spewing his brew out of his garage, down his driveway and into the gutter. Where they brigalow brand? Anyway I think we all agree that there are many ways of brewing our favorite beverage and air-locks should never be used as a measure of final gravity.

My dad used a plastic rubbish bin with a towel draped over it. All cleaned and as sanitary as possible. I don't remember him ever tipping brew out or complaining of infected beer. Times was simpler back then.

I love this so much! My dad used to do the same for a couple of days then rack into 2 x 20l vinegar cubes with a bung and an airlock - back then, not designed for brewing.

Extract was used and iso hops for bittering (mum didnt really appreciate boiling hops in the kitchen in the seventies) - kits made the thing a whole lot simpler by the 80's.

The beer however, while beer, was cheap

I reckon it must of been mid to early 70s that those black fermenters came on the scene. I met a bloke who had one of them split in half, spewing his brew out of his garage, down his driveway and into the gutter. Where they brigalow brand? Anyway I think we all agree that there are many ways of brewing our favorite beverage and air-locks should never be used as a measure of final gravity.
If you have to use a hydrometer every time, and sometimes it says dont bottle - respectfully, perhaps thats a sign of no patience? I think last time round I probably brewed for 5 years without ever taking the hydrometer out of its package (well, maybe the first time).

If things have gone awfully awry you can tell by taste pretty quickly if a brew has stalled (which youll suspect because of what you have seen). if you have doubt, leave it a day - that will almost always take care of the situation

;D

@MHB - my dad worked in an open fermenter brewery in 52 or thereabouts for a year - i should have paid more attention to the details i think....

My brews haven't bubbled for about 9 years now. They turn out just fine.
I don't even own one of those bubbly thingos any longer.
2 layers of clingwrap held in place with the rubber seal from the lid, and I'm set.
Don't worry about bubble rate, it's meaningless. Measure fermentation with a hydrometer if you are really concerned, but I wouldn't bother myself. It seems it's underway, so let it do it's thing.
I brew in a bucket with a tea towel over it .

If you have to use a hydrometer every time, and sometimes it says dont bottle - respectfully, perhaps thats a sign of no patience? I think last time round I probably brewed for 5 years without ever taking the hydrometer out of its package (well, maybe the first time).

If things have gone awfully awry you can tell by taste pretty quickly if a brew has stalled (which youll suspect because of what you have seen). if you have doubt, leave it a day - that will almost always take care of the situation

;D

@MHB - my dad worked in an open fermenter brewery in 52 or thereabouts for a year - i should have paid more attention to the details i think....
I really only take 2 hydro readings. At the start, (which is sanitary and returned to ferment) and once the krausen has dropped, after several days, I do another which I taste. I wouldn't want to waste beer with unnecessary hydro readings! I also make wine, of which patience is an integral ingredient.

I also make wine, of which patience is an integral ingredient.
Is that pretty much same as beer? Do you buy grape juice or is there a concentrate version too. I looked into ..looked much the same as beer process.

I really only take 2 hydro readings. At the start, (which is sanitary and returned to ferment) and once the krausen has dropped, after several days, I do another which I taste. I wouldn't want to waste beer with unnecessary hydro readings! I also make wine, of which patience is an integral ingredient.

The truth comes out now! Youre just drinking from the fermenter and claiming science! ;D :D

Is that pretty much same as beer? Do you buy grape juice or is there a concentrate version too. I looked into ..looked much the same as beer process.
I've got 4 vines (mucat gordo blanco) which produce varying amounts of fruit from season to season. I'm sort of glad I only go through the process once a year. I've got a love/hate relationship with backyard wine-making. Sorry. Off topic.

Hi I just using harvest yeast, and first cling wrap cover ... this is been in for few hours(found this rubber band from Bunnings:) ) perfect... what happens to co2? Just it just push past band...looks like a bit of action... ?

Attachments

• 87783603-B6A6-4214-89BC-3D6AC9AEC988.jpeg
    87783603-B6A6-4214-89BC-3D6AC9AEC988.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 36
It'll find it way out. Or... it will explode and destroy all life on earth.

Hi got a nice seal on this.. pushing up so I assume sealed... full cover on top. Love this, can see what is happening.. I think these are Live Photo’s so maybe issue, but you get the idea. thanks

Attachments

• E4B832B1-CA53-4085-BC8C-48FD75DF079F.jpeg
    E4B832B1-CA53-4085-BC8C-48FD75DF079F.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 43
Poured into keg yesterday, interesting add a very slight mini head on it, I assume because the CO2 was not escaping.. bit different to what I normally see...anyway think it worked all. The taste of the beer was good too, perhaps because slight carbonated.

Whether you drive a Ford Focus or a Bentley, both will get you where you where you want to go in the same amount of time for the most part.

High dollar brewing equipment doesn't necessarily mean better beer. It does mean more expensive beer.

Latest posts

Back