Us-05 Fermenting @ Low Temp, Any Issues?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benf

Reaction score
Hi All, quick one. I have 60 litres of something simlar to the Mongoose Brown Ale from the Recipe DB fermenting away with US-05 yeast. Temperatures in AAuckland have dropped significantly in the last weeks and it is sitting in the garage fermenting at about 12-14 degC. Aside from it being very slow to fermment out, is there any other issues with letting it sit? Is it necessary to move it somewhere warmer?
Cheers.

Should be ok but you may want to try and raise ita few degrees after its finished fermenting dor a D-rest.

bah

I have used 05 at 16deg with no problems and I see none with lower temps other than the yeast may stop fermenting..

Cheers.

May get diacetyl at those temps or a bit of sulfur from yeast stress, as long as there is a healthy yeast population and you raise the temperature a bit for a diacetyl rest you should probably be OK. I just fermented an APA with US-05 at 15C, besides a bit of extra diacetyl which eventually cleared, and taking a while longer to reach terminal gravity all was OK

its been sitting for 8 days now and is still bubbling away (slowly). Might bring it into the houseto warm it up now and hopefully it should be good to keg by the weekend. How's that for a plan. What sort of temperature shold I be going for for a D-rest?

I have fermented at 14 no probs and a d rest, well 18 to 20 should do.

I fairly regularly ferment 1t 14-16 degrees with US05.

Just make sure it gets a couple of days at 20 degrees, at the end of fermentation, just for a D-Rest/cleanup and it'll be excellent.

I find, in my experience (subjective as it is), that I end up with the hop flavour more pronounced as a result of the cleanness.

Goomba

excellent, that's what I'm going for so sounds all good. While talking of this batch, I made a slight error on the hops addition versus the recipe on the DB. The recipe for the Monggose Brown calls for a good amount of centennial to be used as a dry hop. I completely missed this when transcribing the recipe, and added it in a flame out. I did chill pretty quickly with a 15m copper coil which runs chillled water through it, so batch didn't sit hot for too long. Any thoughts on impact of doing this versus dry hoppping.

Actually my last few runs have been recipe with no dry hiopping but plenty at flame out and have been pretty happy with the hop flavour and aroma. I personally have struggled to get a good balance when dry hopping and always seems a bit grassy. I know its all personal preference and the like and not trying to start a debate on dry hopping versus late hopping, just interested in specific question of potential impact on this particular brew.

excellent, that's what I'm going for so sounds all good. While talking of this batch, I made a slight error on the hops addition versus the recipe on the DB. The recipe for the Monggose Brown calls for a good amount of centennial to be used as a dry hop. I completely missed this when transcribing the recipe, and added it in a flame out. I did chill pretty quickly with a 15m copper coil which runs chillled water through it, so batch didn't sit hot for too long. Any thoughts on impact of doing this versus dry hoppping.

Actually my last few runs have been recipe with no dry hiopping but plenty at flame out and have been pretty happy with the hop flavour and aroma. I personally have struggled to get a good balance when dry hopping and always seems a bit grassy. I know its all personal preference and the like and not trying to start a debate on dry hopping versus late hopping, just interested in specific question of potential impact on this particular brew.

Should be fine. If you find that you get grassiness from dryhopping maybe scale back the additions, or add the dry hops before the brew reaches terminal gravity, say 1020, so a bit of the volatile/grassy stuff is driven off by the CO2.

Back