us-05 at cold temps - fermentation advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S-189 Swiss lager yeast also has a good reputation.

It's fun to experiment with things.

However, having done it once, I have satisfied my curiosity and won't be doing it again. My lager recipes will be fermented with lager yeast, as I did prefer them that way. :p

I have been trying to troubleshoot an annoying flavour that I seem to get with my homebrews (biab no chill) with us05 and I notice that some have mentioned an annoying stonefruit tasting ester. This is the taste I have been getting when fermented at 18, so will try at 19 as mentioned above before ditching the us05.

If you can taste a difference between 18 and 19 you've got a hell of a sensitive tongue

Yeah, could be due to underpitching perhaps? I normally just sprinkle one pack in at ferment temps but I have also pitched in the low twenties and have had the same issue the only common factor has been my ferment temps 18 degrees.

I normally only brew ales in the low 1.040s.

Would 1 degree make a hell of a difference to the taste? Maybe to a homeopath. Soon they'll be able to get married.

Rekindling an old thread....

I'm fermenting US-05 down at 10 degrees at the moment. I've done it down at 8-10 before and been very happy with the results. Generally a three week fermentation.

So a slightly related experiment;

Presently doing a session ale and after a week it's gone from 1.040 to 1.020 (expected FG 1.010). For a few reasons I won't go into I'm keen to transfer to my kegs early and allow this to finish in the keg (essentially a part Kegmenter method, without transferring out on completion), without a spunding valve and let it carbonate / condition (I normally leave in primary for extended time then add 80g DEX to the 19L Kegs on transfer, which I like, so in this case adding nothing). I know that this is not a particularly concise way of carbonating, but with .01 to go I am wondering if I'll be way over carbonating.

Usually adding the DEX mentioned above it would add 0.002 to the gravity, so I'm thinking I could end up with 4-5 times the volume of CO2 if I transfer now.

Yes I know there'll be a little Trub and yeast in my Keg, that's okay.

This could be a lesson on what not to do 🤣, see how I go. I think I'll do this in the future, just with a spunding valve.

I'm thinking if I way over carbonate I can just connect the spunding valve that I'm yet to buy and set the pressure wait several days and all should be well.

Latest posts

Back