US-05: Anyone else having issues recently?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Been having some issues with US-05 of late, namely extensive lag time prior to obvious starting & stuck fermentation.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

For example I threw down two worts yesterday, one with S-04 & one with two packets of US-05. The S-04 has by now thrown a massive krausen & the US-05 hasn't even started sending up bubbles (as seen through glad wrap lid). Had two beers in different fermenters take 3 days to show obvious signs a few weeks ago & both stuck, held at 18 degrees for two weeks :(

Did you record the batch nos and dates etc? I'm about to use some soon. I'm sold on doing starters as I reckon they fire up and produce a more attenuated outcome than the sprinkle. Here we go, here we go, here we go.

I haven't had any problems lately. Although I haven't brewed for a bit over a month now.

Vini2ton said:
Did you record the batch nos and dates etc? I'm about to use some soon. I'm sold on doing starters as I reckon they fire up and produce a more attenuated outcome than the sprinkle. Here we go, here we go, here we go.
Do you actually make starters for dried yeast or just rehydrate it? They're not the same thing and you really don't need a starter when using dried yeast for an average gravity 20 - 25 L batch.

I really should have kept note of batch number & date, but alas I did not...

Mine is good, 2 packs pitched to 1.065 and a 4 litre krausen going on and farting non stop from the airlock, less than 12 hours from pitching.

I just commented to a mate last week about how short the lag was on my current us05 batch.

All good for me in fact like pilchard said if anything its been kicking off faster than usual.

Must be something I've done then :(

LHBS has gone from stocking Iodophor to only selling Proxitane as a no-rinse sanitiser. Perhaps I didn't give the residual solution enough time to neutralise & it killed some of the yeast?

Fingerlickin_B said:
Must be something I've done then :(

LHBS has gone from stocking Iodophor to only selling Proxitane as a no-rinse sanitiser. Perhaps I didn't give the residual solution enough time to neutralise & it killed some of the yeast?

I very much doubt it's the Proxitane. I've been using this for years and IMO, it's the best stuff out their. I have never had a problem with it. I've used many dried and liquid yeasts including starters.

Screwtop said:
Gave up using this yeast 6 months ago!

Screwy
Screwy - What yeast are you using instead? I am not 100% happy with 05 at the moment but I have had all kinds of dramas with Bry97 and am not keen to go down that path again.

Screwtop said:

Screwy
You and I both Screwy, 1272 is my favorite ATM.

Batz.

Screwtop said:

Screwy
And you've gone to ___ and never looked back?

US-05 has been fine for me, I used it a few weeks back and it was solid.

I'm about to do an IPA and was thinking I might try BRY-97, or potentially 1272 as it sounds like a good one.

I'm not having any issues with lag time. US05 always kicks off quick but it is taking a while to drop properly. Never have this issue with any other yeasts. Might give 1272 a go.

Been off the US05 wagon a while now, not due to any issues really, just like others that drop clear, 1272, 1217, SDSY, Greenbelt... 099.. er.. + others..

Let me know if you want a couple of vials Lukiferj, I'll send you a couple :)

Adr_0 said:
And you've gone to ___ and never looked back?

US-05 has been fine for me, I used it a few weeks back and it was solid.

I'm about to do an IPA and was thinking I might try BRY-97, or potentially 1272 as it sounds like a good one.
M44 even better! Always only use fresh yeast for best results, lots of negative posts relate to old yeast issues more than bad yeast.

Screwy

I've noticed 24-28 hour lag times and very thin krausen using US05 the last couple of months.....only with this particular yeast. Quick google shows similar thing, people in the states noticing the same over the past year.

No stuck fermentation tho.

I haven't used dry yeast in a few months now but I do keep a packet or two of US-05 in the fridge for emergencies. I seem to remember they took a little while to take off but the wait never worried me.

Wyeast 1272 is my goto yeast most of the time these days. Though I keep liquid cultures of Coopers Commercial and Wyeast 1318 in the fridge for some variety, but it's hard to go wrong with 1272.

menoetes said:
I haven't used dry yeast in a few months now but I do keep a packet or two of US-05 in the fridge for emergencies. I seem to remember they took a little while to take off but the wait never worried me.

Wyeast 1272 is my goto yeast most of the time these days. Though I keep liquid cultures of Coopers Commercial and Wyeast 1318 in the fridge for some variety, but it's hard to go wrong with 1272.

Dry yeasts really don't cut it, no matter how easy they are.

Batz

Latest posts

Back