Urn Reset Button

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peted27

Reaction score
Gday guys, was just messing about with my urn taking the tap off and i noticed that the reset button seems to be broken.

From memory, (its been a long time since ive even looked at that button, never had to use it) its supposed to act like a push button yeah? as in i can press it and it goes in a little and comes back? (really hard to explain)

mine is lose, if i tilt the urn on its side it slides out and pressing it back it just goes back in....

is this correct? when it trips will it pop out or something? or is mine just broken?

Its a birko urn, couple of years old....

Cheers

Gday guys, was just messing about with my urn taking the tap off and i noticed that the reset button seems to be broken.

From memory, (its been a long time since ive even looked at that button, never had to use it) its supposed to act like a push button yeah? as in i can press it and it goes in a little and comes back? (really hard to explain)

mine is lose, if i tilt the urn on its side it slides out and pressing it back it just goes back in....

is this correct? when it trips will it pop out or something? or is mine just broken?

Its a birko urn, couple of years old....

Cheers

Yep when it trips it will pop out, all is good, now sit down relax and have a beer. :p :lol:

Batz

Yep when it trips it will pop out, all is good, now sit down relax and have a beer. :p :lol:

Batz

cheers mate i was getting real keen to brew this weekend after a while of busy work etc. so i was starting to stress that it may be broken and the brew day was off

Not wishing to be a harbinger of doom but if you get intermittent cutout during the boil or if the urn is just dead then the cutout switch is probalby stuffed. Happened with my Birko.

However the cutout switch can be easily bypassed and the urn will then work perfectly. You could attempt it yourself but it's probably just a $20 job if you know a sparkie.

Note: this is NOT the equivalent of bypassing the thermostat, which can lead to burn out of the element. It's just bypassing the boil dry protection so the ladies who leave the urn on in the church hall then lock up after their bingo session don't burn the fukka down.

However in our case as careful brewers you just have to remember NEVER to turn on the urn without the element covered with liquid and you should be good.

Hopefully you won't need any of the above advice. :)

Not wishing to be a harbinger of doom but if you get intermittent cutout during the boil or if the urn is just dead then the cutout switch is probalby stuffed. Happened with my Birko.

However the cutout switch can be easily bypassed and the urn will then work perfectly. You could attempt it yourself but it's probably just a $20 job if you know a sparkie.

Note: this is NOT the equivalent of bypassing the thermostat, which can lead to burn out of the element. It's just bypassing the boil dry protection so the ladies who leave the urn on in the church hall then lock up after their bingo session don't burn the fukka down.

However in our case as careful brewers you just have to remember NEVER to turn on the urn without the element covered with liquid and you should be good.

nah the urn works ok.... i was asking purely about the operaton of the reset button (whether its a tactile push button or pops out like a power board cutoff)..... was worried that if it *did* trip for whatever reason i may not be able to reset it....

This is true as well and as the old fella here states " just bypass the switch ".....easy azz......but get a sparkie to do it. ;)
The reset switch on these urns does seem to pack it in, mine did....you still with us Campbell?

Batz

Back