Urn For Mash Tun And Wort Boiler.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alien boy.
While you could do all those things you want to do with it, it would be easier and much more practical to use a sepperate mash tun.
Even if you were to go ahead and use this for everything i would still use a cheap bucket in bucket MLT to transferr the mash from the urn into, then you would lauter straight back into the urn.
The urn size would have to be minimum 35litres.
Good luck and happy brewing.

Jayse

Hi there,

I use a 30L urn for the boil and like Jayse says a converted water coler for the mash. I thought about using an urn as I have another 20L which would suit but didn't do it for the reasons you point out.

cheers

Patrick

I am currently using a 20L for my hot liquour tank only. Very happy with it for that purpose. It really would be too small for the boiler, though. My experience with catering urns thermostats is that they are pretty "approximate".

***searched about and thought this was the most appropriate thread to tack on my question***EDIT

Thinking about the possibility of using a 30 + litre caterers urn for a kettle to boil my wort as a part of my hardware to do 20 plus litre ag's

Mash in an esky, and lauter to urn for boil.
Does any one else use this type of kettle and does it provide a constant rolling type boil for 60 mins?

i have used the urn for small batches - it produces a boil but not rolling enough for me.

Hope this helps

Used an urn for thirty os so batches for both mash and boil. Worked well for me. It was a thirty litre urn with a 10 amp plug on a 15 amp boiler. The plug used to get hot but never caught on fire.
Still use it for heating bulk water for bottling etc. Great way to get into all-grain.

I use an old pommy brand Urn for my mash tun ( 45L ) with false bottom and temp controler/thermo in my RIMS set-up. I have a seperate boiler though.
The Urn is kinda tall & thin very hard to find i guess, but a very treasured part of my system.
I dont have a better pic the urn, see this one
cheers

12.jpg

Hi all,

My 30L is an old Zip, it's a tall thin job with a 2400 watt element. I use it for the boil and have always found it to give a solid rolling boil. The 20L is also a Zip with a 2400 watt element that I use as the HLT. On brew day I usually have to fill it (the 20L) about 3 times to get through the whole process. Once for the mash liquor, once for the sparge and then again for a top up after the boil and various sanitising tasks. I generally do 21-23L batches and this uses just over half the space in the 36L KeepCool. All in all its a pretty efficient little setup and makes the best use of the limited space I have.

Hi there,

Does anyone ever have any trouble with the urn element being in direct contact with the wort and burning or scorching it?

JEM

JEM Australia said:
Hi there,

Does anyone ever have any trouble with the urn element being in direct contact with the wort and burning or scorching it?

JEM
[post="91282"][/post]​

For boiling wort it's fine. For mashing grains it's got a pretty big tendency to scorch the grain quite badly if you're not too careful. :ph34r:

Warren -

Thanks Warren, I was trying to find a larger stainless pot but the idea of an urn seems much better. No worries about gas running out.

Back