Urn For Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntboozer

Reaction score
Excuse my gumby/newby question if it has been covered before (yes I have done a search but have drawn a blank) so I'll ask the question.
I am able to get my hands on a new (still in the box) 20lt hot water urn.
What are the thoughts of you experiencent AG brewers out there about the usefulness of this size urn for a HLT for standard (22-25lt) brews?

ntboozer said:
I am able to get my hands on a new (still in the box) 20lt hot water urn.
What are the thoughts of you experiencent AG brewers out there about the usefulness of this size urn for a HLT for standard (22-25lt) brews?
[post="65625"][/post]​

If the price is right go for it. I use a 20L urn and my average brew size is 25L and I semi batch sparge in a 38L esky.

What I do is heat an urn full for the mash in, underlet the esky to dough in and run the remainder off into a spare 9L drink cooler. I then heat another 20L of sparge water again in the urn whilst the mash is going on to near boiling. At mashout I add the 9L of water from the cooler plus the sparge water to fill the esky to the top and then start the runoff. The combination of the water from the cooler ~70C plus the really hot sparge water gets me in the ballpark for a mashout.

I then add some more water to the urn tp drop the temp back down to about 80C and slowly let it run into the water sitting on the grain bed in the esky ala fly sparging. Othetimes I just run the 1st esky full out, fill it again and run that out.

I would love a 30L urn but this one has cost only cost me about $40 all up (buying it, replacing the broken tap with a ball valve and fitting a new sight glass) so I am happy enough.

HTH ausdb

I used a 20 lt urn for ages , it worked exellent.

Got the mash happening , then reheated and batch sparged.

Great way to start AG, will do you for ever if you want.

Batz

I also have a 20 litre urn.
Its fine for single batches as I only need about 35-40 litres per batch.
If you can get it at a good price I would say go for it.

cheers
johnno

setup.JPG

No point being invited to Johnno's for a BBQ and brewday.

There could be a small problem. :p

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="65643"][/post]​

Or my place either :p The set up is disconcertingly familiar, and just about as rickety :excl: .

Urn as an HLT is a great idea, IMHO

warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="65643"][/post]​

Warren,
First we do the important things like make beer.
Then we cook and eat. :p

cheers
johnno

The way I eat Johnno once sparge is over that Esky would go flying. :lol:

Warren -

I use a 20L for the HLT and a 30L for the kettle. It's a case of using one batch of water for whatever purpose and then refilling and getting it boiling again ASAP. This has been very successfull for the 24L batches I'm doing.

Latest posts

Back