Urn Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistol

Reaction score
G'day, just about to start doing AG, I have a 40L Birko and BIAB bag, I just wondered what other additions I could make to the urn to make things easier/ better?

Cheers,

A thermometer is essential if you don't already have one. (Can use STC-1000 if you have one for fermenting already). A skyhook (pulley) and a cleat to tie the rope off to are the next 2 most important.
My next priority would be marking the sight tube so you know your volume at a glance. I did mine with texta the first time, but that washed off after a few brews. It now had light hacksaw marks every 2 litres, with bigger marks @ 10, 20 and 30 litres.
Lastly, I have an old laptop running BrewMate so I can do any calculations on the fly, and the timers (On Brewmate, and no doubt any other brewing software) are really handy.
Scales. For weighing grain and hops. A hopsock (or just use the same bag the grain was in).
And a cold beer or 3. :)

A 25 litre cube if you are no-chilling and a length of 1/2" food grade silicon hose (rated to 100degC plus - check out the sponsors) to make transfer of hot wort from the urn is also a useful addition to the brewery. Prevents splashing and less likely to make a mess. No guarantees though! Have fun.

A Ball Valve and tube/siphon
A big arse scoup to handle the grain
Whirlfloc Tablets
A Mill

A big paint stirrer to mash with and a decent size spoon / paddle to whirlpool.

A thermometer is essential if you don't already have one. (Can use STC-1000 if you have one for fermenting already). A skyhook (pulley) and a cleat to tie the rope off to are the next 2 most important.
My next priority would be marking the sight tube so you know your volume at a glance. I did mine with texta the first time, but that washed off after a few brews. It now had light hacksaw marks every 2 litres, with bigger marks @ 10, 20 and 30 litres.

Scales. For weighing grain and hops. A hopsock (or just use the same bag the grain was in).
And a cold beer or 3. :)

You can use a metal rule to measure volumes. On a Birko 1cm is near enough to 1 litre.

Cheap refractometer from ebay makes things a lot easier.

You can get silicon hose over the birko tap with a fair bit of effort and secure it with a clamp (bunnings has ones with an orange hand tightener).

As suggested a STC-1000 and electrical timer is handy to get your water to strike temp while you sleep so its all ready to go when you wake up (shorten brew day a bit)

A cake rack or roasting rack to keep the bag off the element comes in handy if you need to make temperature adjustments or want to do a mashout.

You will want a big sleeping bag or doona and some rope to wrap around the urn while mashing.

A TV to watch the cricket in the garage!

(I am actually being serious, as I got my BIAB set up all ready to go and had boxing day set aside for brewing but then started and realised I had to keep going inside the house to watch some cricket.... Ended up picking up an old TV for $1 off eBay.... Plenty to chose from if you are prepared for one of those old big buggers... Still good picture and sits well on my garage shelving!)

A roll of heavy duty garbage bin with tie strings makes life easier for disposing spent grain. Put the biag bag in the garbage bag, lift the biab bag from the bottom up and voila! No mess no fuss.

mine would wash off also, so I marked a plastic ruler and slip that in next to the sight tube on brew day held with my insulation tie, then remove before cleaning up my Crown urn,

which reminds me, insulation like a cut down yoga mat will not only work with your sleeping bag during the mash but can stay in place for the boil, which you will reach a bit quicker

A pair of thick rubber gloves for handling hot stuff is handy, especially if you like to squeeze the bag.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm good to go, just waiting for my talking thermometer to turn up! :(

Set top box for TV :icon_offtopic: 2 sets of scales one for hops and one for grain's

I don't see why on earth 2 scales are required, just use the same ones. Each to their own though.

Some rope to hoist your bag with. About 4 metres should give you enough to run through your pulley/s and tie off but depends on your set up.

Protip, make sure it's decent rope, I've had that cheap bunnings polytwine stuff snap on me. The bag would have dropped straight back into the kettle, and splashed hot wort everywhere, if I didn't have a 2nd rope there as a backup.

Latest posts

Back