Urgent - Syd Brewpubs Etc (22/7)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
ok so maybe i am leaving it late....very late, but any good places to drink at in syd? i will be there for 3 days and on foot about 2 min walk from central station in the city.

I will be gone tomorrow morning so :) be quick... otherwise i will find somewhere to drink up (just dont tell the misses) ;)

Just walk up George St (about 2 blocks from the country terminal) and walk towards the main part of town. On the right you'll come across the Capital Centre and in there is an Irish pub whose name I can't recall for the life of me!

If you can get to the Rocks there are lots of places. The Hart has St Arnou beers, the Belgian Beer Cafe, The Australian Hotel has Beez Neez, Scharers and Little Creatures on tap. I've heard the Lord Nelson is having a bad run lately, so if you have limited time, maybe skip it.

As for Brewpubs:
Lord Nelson Brewery - Argyle St, The Rocks (quick cab ride).
James Squire Brewhouse - Kent St. Wharf (quick cab ride or ~15min walk) although I'm not sure they are brewing their own yet.

As for other good pubs:
Belgian Beer Cafe - Harrington St, The Rocks (quick cab ride)
Lowenbrau Keller - Cnr Harrington St & Argyle St, The Rocks (quick cab ride)
Australian Hotel, Cumberland St The Rocks (quick cab ride)

Enjoy,
Doc

great thanks guys!!!!

I think i am near "the rocks" as we are there to climb the bridge, so i will have a beer or 12 after that and over the weekend hehe

Prolly too late...but the bridge climb is across the road from the Australian Hotel

Ok guys, i made it home, pitty my bank ballance got lost on the way DOH
:(

anyhow, first stop was the Australian Hotel, where i has a JC B pils and i think it was a beez neez as it was very sweet and honey like, the misses went to the bar for me so many a slip up? not sure

and LCPA YUM
and a Scharers lager with cascade hops? cant remember but one was interesting

missed the bock doh!

then to a pub in the city looking for food, with its typical CUB style beers on tap YUCK!

sat - Lord nelson for a 3 sheets - nice, and a bitter Avg. i was worried by one of their beers when they talk about POR hops this and that so i gave that a miss :) - had lunch there also

moved on to find the james squire but didn't find it, went to manly (sp?) and walked around there, returned to syd city, and after walking the entire length on Kent street i still could not find the james squire, asked at the lord nelson and they pointed me to oxford st, so at 10pm i was dying from the days walk and had $77 worth of dinner and drinks at Lowenbrau Keller, not bad!

Sunday - never found the squire :) dam it, had a $6 meal and beer (New yuck) at the something bridge hotel near darling harbour, walked around, legs fell off and ended the weekend with a Calton Black at the airport (better than VB - the other choice)

so all in all a great weekend and expencive ;) legs are happy we are home as i walked the length of that dam city to the Key and the rocks about 8-9 times from our stay in surry hills.

thanks to all for the listing of pubs!!

the pick was the Australian Hotel.

there is a squire in melbourne so i will visit the local, and a Belgian Beer Cafe that i have been to once

Regards
Ben

The James Squire brewhouse is on King Street Wharf. It is on the Rocks side of the Sydney Aquarium at Darling Harbour.

Sounds like you still had a good tour though.

You sound like me looking for Stanley St Markets on Stanley St in Hong Kong (Note: they are not on Stanley St :eek: )

Doc

DOH !
doc doc doc i recall "James Squire Brewhouse - Kent St. Wharf" from your post ;)

i thought after a hours walking "i wonder if its King street wharf" but then some very drunk guy was walking around as we were looking for a why to get there (from the lord nelson) and he pissed us off so much we headed off in another direction to get away

Then on the sunday i was about 50M from there but the misses was crying to get home to lay down (i was in very much pain also but beer was driving me) anyhow a fun time was had!

i saw so much yet missed so much more! might have to return some day... when the bank allows it :( *sob*

Ben said:
DOH !
doc doc doc i recall "James Squire Brewhouse - Kent St. Wharf" from your post ;)
Really sorry about that.
Rule: Don't type and talk to someone about something else at the same time.
Although there is no Kent St wharf and King St wharf sounds oh so close. :unsure:

Doc

Back