Urgent! Gas Splitters!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Howdy all, ive just done my second bottle (extinguisher) full of gas since installing four of those blue and white push fit t piece gas splitting units.

Does anyone else have a problem with these fittings leaking?

I also have those black and silver NRV's installed in each line so it could also be those.

I need to organise gas again today, and need to get some advice on these fittings, and also on the hard plumbed manifolds that ross sells, as im thinking of getting one of them instead.
Today is friday, so hoping to get it sorted and hopefully if i need to buy a new product, hoping to get it in the post today.....

Cheers all.

I've got the ones your talking about.
I had a leaking problem with mine, one of them the o-ring was broken and that was very obvious. The second problem I had was the hose clamps I was using. I had some of the ones your screw to tighten, but as they are not perfectly round they caused a leak. I replaced them with the crimp on types from kegking (50c) and everything has been fine since then.
This is new type I'm using:
IMAG0109.jpg

Without teaching one to 'suck eggs' have you tried using dishwash liquid and water mix to find the leak? Sounds like it could be from a few spots?

I've been using them for a while now and have never had a problem with them. I actually prefer them to the solid manifold types as they tend to swivel and move with the direction of the gas line, putting less stress on the joins.

Kee from keg king (who sells the plastic splitters) recommends mounting them to your keggerator wall to minimise the potential for movement, which can lead to leaks. Photo of it being done with some spare beer line:

splittermount.jpg

if you are not using brass male fittings into the line like most of these photos, the issue ive had with JG in-line fittings has always been with cheap crappy beer/gas line with an incorrect OD. The most expensive stuff on Craftbrewer (and the midrange stuff IIRC) is the correct line you should use. Find the equivalent at your LHBS of choice. The cheapest stuff*, I don't recommend with quick release fittings, ive always ran into leaks. Spend the extra $1 per meter. Its gas line, it will last you several years.

*You can tell by how hard the line is to push into the fitting. if it takes too much effort, its not the right stuff. The components should pull apart with minimal force if you're using the right lines and fittings.

I actually prefer them to the solid manifold types as they tend to swivel and move with the direction of the gas line...

My gut tells me this is not a good idea. Surely if there is movement in the connections then the risk of having a leak increases.

@iralasovic, cheers mate, ive kinda done something similar, not as 'firm' but the whole group of splitters are supported and motionless.

I have noticed however a small hissing sound previously when moving kegs around which seemes to come from the joint where the gas lines joing into the nrv's. This hissing sound ONLY occurs audibly when a keg is moved and flexes the gas lines. It is short lived and every time i hear it, i double check and push the joint together. Kind of sounds like when you turn your bbq bottle on but really quiet. Its certainly not a huge amount that escapes. The hissing sound stops well before i get to double check the joint, but either way i am sure it is at that connection that im losing gas. Either that or the splitters themselves. Im not really happy with the fact that they swivel and move so much. Think im gonna go the brass manifold type.

if you are not using brass male fittings into the line like most of these photos, the issue ive had with JG in-line fittings has always been with cheap crappy beer/gas line with an incorrect OD. The most expensive stuff on Craftbrewer (and the midrange stuff IIRC) is the correct line you should use. Find the equivalent at your LHBS of choice. The cheapest stuff*, I don't recommend with quick release fittings, ive always ran into leaks. Spend the extra $1 per meter. Its gas line, it will last you several years.

*You can tell by how hard the line is to push into the fitting. if it takes too much effort, its not the right stuff. The components should pull apart with minimal force if you're using the right lines and fittings.

I steer away from JG fittings for these reasons. I'm sure it is possible to get perfect leak free connections with the right hose, but unless you already have them, why take the risk with gas? Those brass fittings pictured are an excellent compromise though. Metal manifolds usually have MFL/FFL or hosetail/barb hose mounting points, so push-in fittings aren't present.

What I'm currently looking for are single piece hosetail/barbed FFL connectors that are fixed permanently (around cleaning) into the hose ends so they offer the convenience of MFL interchangability without the risk of leaking from push-ins.

I use John Guest for gas using the normal JG beer line (5 ID 8 OD). I am still on the same bottle I've had for two years. I leave my gas on 24/7. Enough said.

Not really on topic but I want to connect some gas line to a Quick Disconnect MFL (Gas). Can I buy a connecting piece and attach it to the end of the hose I already have?

Not really on topic but I want to connect some gas line to a Quick Disconnect MFL (Gas). Can I buy a connecting piece and attach it to the end of the hose I already have?

Not quite sure what you are asking, if you could make it a little clearer?

+++

To the previous topic - When dealing with gas, use the correct line & GOOD QUALITY (e.g. John Guest) fittings & you should have no problems. These products are designed for the commercial beverage industry & are very reliable. Use cheap line &/or connectors & take your chance, but a false economy when you lose a bottle of gas.

Cheers Ross

must admit i've noticed with my NRV's with push fits on both sides, if i bend the tube going in or out of it on too hard a curve they tend to leak, i find big long curves and straight tube into joiners is the key...

Assuming you have this - http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=731
You want this - http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=744

And as Ross says, use good quality line which has been cut cleanly and doesn't have any roughness around the end. I have used both the 5/8mm beva line and the 6/8mm John Guest line and never had a leak in either gas or liquid. I know others have but I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly user error.

I had the blue/white t-piece splitters - no issues.
I also had cheap chinee push-in NRV's (KegKing) - a bit iffy but seemed to hold.
Early on I had cheap chinee push-in fittings (KegKing) on my disconnects and on my reg - these leaked like a leaky sieve. Went through two CO2 bottles in a week. Chucked em.

Back