Upright Bar Freezer With Removable Shelves?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealK

Reaction score
I have been using an old broken bar fridge as a fermentation chamber but I am ready to buy something new to give me proper control over my fermentation temperature. I have been looking at bar freezers but all the ones I have seen are not suitable because the shelves can't be removed. Most bar fridges have a freezer box which limits the space. I really need something that is bar fridge size, or not much bigger, that will hold a 30 litre fermenter.
I want to buy something new (in the boxing day sales) but can't find anything suitable.
Have any of you guys bought something new that you think would fit my plans? If so please tell me where? What? How Much?
My research suggests that a freezer will work better than a fridge.
I will be running it with an stc1000.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I have permission for the upgrade and really want to start fermenting at lager temps.

Cheers

Neal

Hey there NealK

I have a fisher and paykel pigeon pair I got on ebay.
The freezer has strong shelves that are removable, but the shelves are still in and I use it for storage of my bottled brews.
The fridge is where my FV lives. with an STC-1000.

maybe they have newer models with the same shelves ?? Or keep an eye on ebay !!

UB

Hey there NealK

I have a fisher and paykel pigeon pair I got on ebay.
The freezer has strong shelves that are removable, but the shelves are still in and I use it for storage of my bottled brews.
The fridge is where my FV lives. with an STC-1000.

maybe they have newer models with the same shelves ?? Or keep an eye on ebay !!

UB

Would a fermenter fit in the freezer if the shelves were removed?

Neal,
You can also ferment in 25l barrels too. Keep in mind. I can fit one in a 80l bar freezer. It has lid replaced with gladwrap. Can brew 23l batches with it. Cost me $60 to $80.

So if space is a concern this solution may work. Akward moving fermenter in and out though. I have qualify this.

CHEERS
D80

Neal,
You can also ferment in 25l barrels too. Keep in mind. I can fit one in a 80l bar freezer. It has lid replaced with gladwrap. Can brew 23l batches with it. Cost me $60 to $80.

So if space is a concern this solution may work. Akward moving fermenter in and out though. I have qualify this.

CHEERS
D80

Hi Diesel,
Thanks for the reply.
What is the make & model of your 80l bar freezer. Your set up sounds very close to what I am aiming for.
Cheers

Neal

Sorry for the late reply Neal,

I dont get on the computer much !!

YES, a FV would fit in the freezer I have.

UB

Hi Diesel,
Thanks for the reply.
What is the make & model of your 80l bar freezer. Your set up sounds very close to what I am aiming for.
Cheers

Neal

Neal,

Its 110L total volume (not internal) model # is

Mistral 110 Litre Upright Freezer
MRUF110RH

Comes with 2 or 3 baskets in it that can be removed and chucked. Needs a small stand built to use as a fermenter fridge. I used bricks and some wood last time but will make something better after Xmas.

Fits a 25L cube just, and fits a 25L Bunnings fermenter with gladwrap as lid.

Tip, set it up off the floor a little bit as it is awkward moving full fermenter in and out.
Holds temp well in my crazy hot shed.

Cheers,
D80

Ha, yeah they're not really aiming at home brewers. On the up side you can ferment a whole cows volume of beer. I figure if a cow weighs about half a tonne then you can ferment about 500L of beer in a single batch with this baby :p

In fridges that would normally fit only one fermenter in, I am able to fit two jerry cans in the same space. A bit of glad wrap and a lacky band and I thus have two batches brewing at once.

Get THIS.

It's fridge only, so there is no freezer section taking up space.
No problems getting down to 0C.
Fits the taller 30L fermenters, 20L and 25L cubes, and even 19L cornies.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I spotted the ebay one myself but I am would really prefer to buy new. Half a pigeon pair seems to be the go (either fridge without a freezer compartment or a bar freezer).

D80, it is good to know that the mistral has removable shelves. Anyone else looking for a secondhand freezer should take note as this model pops up on ebay pretty often from what I have seen.

I have 2 FV's. One is the bunnings style that I use with glad wrap, the other is one of the new coopers things with the krausen ring. I have had 2 infected batches and 1 oxygen affected batch all from the coopers Fv. It will not be used again! No beer on tap for Christmas because of an infected batch has really pissed me off. The coopers fv has got to go. Whatever freezer/fridge I buy will only need to fit the bunnings style fv.

Thanks again for all the replies, You have really helped me narrow down my search.

Cheers

Neal

Just a quick update,
I ended up going for the 130l westinghouse fridge only. It is pretty big inside and will fit everything I need to fit inside. I would have preferred a freezer but needed to buy a cake mixer for my wife from the same shop. Got them both from the good guys. I am happy with my new fridge and my wife is very happy with her new cake mixer. Win win!
Thanks to everyone who took the time to give their opinion and experience.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you all

Neal

Back