Upgrade to 2V system - pseudo brutus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vrtigo

Reaction score
Hi AHBers,

I am considering upgrading my system and would appreciate some input on my ideas.

I am currently running a Birko BIAB setup with recirculation and temperature adjustment (including step mashing) via a Keg King Controller (thermowell into birko). I have been enjoying this setup for years however the main problems are wort clarity (I can Vorlauf to get lovely clear wort but then hoisting the bag squeezes it and undoes this work) and some issues with the exposed Birko element getting caked up with ‘mash gunk’ making a rolling boil difficult in higher OG batches. Also, the limited space (with grains added) mean that batch sparging into another container is often necessary to make something like a Dopplebock.

I am considering upgrading to a 2V system inspired by the Brutus approach (http://www.alenuts.com/alenuts/brutus20.html) but am wondering if I NEED a second element in the mash tun. I was thinking an alternative would be to use my Counter Flow Chiller as a pseudo-HERMS with the heat coming from my Birko boil kettle (via the ‘water’ ports). Of course, my main concern is weather this would be sufficient to hold mash temperatures considering heat loss from pumps / tubes / external surface area of CFC and Mash Tun. If it IS, my options are much greater of what I can afford for a mash tun (to potentially be used in a 3V system later) such as this: https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/36ltr-nano-brewery-304ss-pro-series-mash-tun

If NOT I will have to go with a crown urn (don’t need the power of birko exposed element) and create a false bottom / mash screen solution. Obviously, this would be more expensive but the other benefit is that I could heat cleaning solution (to circulate through pumps / CFC / Kettle) while kettle is standing or emptying after whirlpool. Image of my proposed (non-heated) setup below.

2V RIMS.jpg

Would love to hear your thoughts =)

Cheers,

Just ran a water test and the Birko can hold 97 degrees while recircing through pump with lid off on a 20degree day - should be able to hold MT at temperature I hope as that is a fair amount of heat energy.

So long as I mash in at the right temperature, in a garage with doors down, surely that will be enough heat...

Has anybody else on the forum had much experience with a Brutus-style system? I'm assuming it will be similar efficiency to BIAB. I guess the one downside is that I won't be able to double-crush for increased efficiency however that is likely also contributing to my clarity issues. I'm hoping the ability to full volume mash as opposed to mashing then adding water to boil kettle (when it won't all fit in the 40L capacity) should more than make up for this...

I recently saw a similar system when trying to decide if staying with 1v or going to 2v (I’ve settled on 1v). It’s a 2v full volume system by high gravity brewing and may or may not be what you’re looking for but could give you some ideas

Cheers
Chap

I know this is an old post, but interested to know if you tried this. Did it work?

Back