Upcoming Trip To London - What Should I Get?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
Hi,

My friend is going to London for a wedding in a few weeks and asked whether I wanted him to bring anything back from Ol Blighty. Said he would try to chase up whatever brews I wanted him to find.

Anyone have any suggestions for interesting brews for him to pick up? I have no specific preferences tastewise....

Thanks

Jez

Jez said:
Hi,

My friend is going to London for a wedding in a few weeks and asked whether I wanted him to bring anything back from Ol Blighty. Said he would try to chase up whatever brews I wanted him to find.

Anyone have any suggestions for interesting brews for him to pick up? I have no specific preferences tastewise....

Thanks

Jez
[post="79478"][/post]​

Jez,

Most of the UK bottled beers are available here if you look... But I'm sure Kook will give you a bit of guidance, even if it's to pick up from London some of the outstanding European/American brews that you can't get here...

You can get Fullers London Pride and ESB in Oz, however....

I'd get him to grab you a bottle of Fullers London Porter. :rolleyes: :beerbang:

Stunning drop and impossible to find in Oz. There's loads of others and I'm sure there'll be some more suggestions.

Sam Smiths beers are a nice one to get your hands on too. As are Youngs

Warren -

Check out www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk or www.beersofeurope.co.uk for an idea of what's available. Last time I had a friend coming back from the UK I got him to bring back some Cantillons - not exactly English, but they're definitely not available here.

jez

Try and get some Thomas Hardy Barley WIne.

I would also try and tee him up ti bring an english Beer pump back in the suitcase - buy one on ebay and get it sent to his hotel/place of residence.

Hope this helps

some spice girls or members of bananarama would be nice :)

have a great trip you lucky b*stard!

get some westvleteren. all the best british beers are on cask anyway, unless you're really into flat barley wines

GMK said:
jez

Try and get some Thomas Hardy Barley WIne.

[post="79496"][/post]​
Yuch, no. Vile, overrated stuff. We collected about 15 bottles of Thomas Hardy from about 12 different years, and opened them during a holiday in 2000. About 3 of them were drinkable - but not great. The rest were completely undrinkable, like thick, sweet, oxidised vinegar.

I a far better recommendation would be some Gales Prize Old Ale - a truly wonderful old stock ale. On the other hand, it does push the driven cork out sometimes, which would make a mess in your mate's luggage.

As neonmeate said, most other British bottled beers are inferior examples of cask beers.

Latest posts

Back