Unique Keg Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch.flint

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've come across some small corny style kegs. They look to be about 3-4 Litres (Perhaps 1Gal). They have no valves but a hole in the lid which I assume could take some kind of spear setup. I'm really keen to adapt these to party kegs but don't know where to start. I've been told these kegs came from Mcdonalds and were used for something related to smoothies...

Anyway what I'm asking is if anyone knows if you can get a spear for these? If not how would you go about adapting them to best be party kegs? I'm thinking soda bulb and pluto gun so I can give them to people to try my beer as a once off without having to send them off with a huge tank etc. I've got good TIG welders available to me.

Also, I could potentially source a few more than what I need for myself if anyone's interested...

I'll try and get some photos in the next few days.

Hi there mate where are u located? A pic would be of help. I could be interested in a couple

I'll take a couple to experiment with a solution if you wanna ship them ;)

Doogiechap said:
I reckon this old thread will shed some light on the subject :)
I'm in Brisbane (Kenmore). I had a look through that post and another old one that was linked to it but those kegs are a different set-up to mine. They have a regular post and a solid lid (which people were obviously adapting by putting another post in. Anyways here is a pic of mine. I'm gonna have a look around to try and find the supplier and see what I can dredge up.

2013-06-27 18.31.00.jpg

Edit: Sorry about the multiple posts. I'm pretty amateur when it comes to forums. As you can see the lid just has one central hole and no other in or out posts... Also they are 4 litres when filled to the brim, so I'd say they're designed for 1US Gallon (3.78L if I'm not mistaken).

Could you weld a cover over the centre hole and then add corny posts to each end of the lid?
Or...Not sure of the size etc but...cut the collar off the centre part and weld a CUB style collar on the lid, then cut the spear down to fit and use the coupler required (D type I think it is.)
I have a CUB style collar and spear that I cut out of my HLT when making it, that you can have. You just need to cut the collar from the rest of the top.

You mention you have access to a TIG so both options should be easy enough providing your welds can be clean and sanitised easily.

Yeh those both sound like good options. I've been using corny kegs so far and am pretty used to that. Although I would also need a relief valve I guess. It would end up being a very crowded lid.

I'm wondering if there is another type of spear that fits these that I could buy and fit so I don't have hastle my mates to weld stuff. I've been trolling around the internet and have seen on the Micromatic site that they have 7 different types of spears. My problem at this stage is knowing which, if any, will fit these little things.

I really want to fit CO2 bulbs and a pluto gun to them as well, not sure if that's possible with these spears??

Weld a lip on them Add a cap with spear and gas fitting triclover clamp this on

helles said:
Weld a lip on them Add a cap with spear and gas fitting triclover clamp this on
Sounds like a good plan. The other things I've been thinking is adapting this to the 'Minikeg Party Star Deluxe'. I don't have one though so not sure whether to splash the $95 in case it can't be done easily.

Back