(Unintentional) Juicy NEIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vazerhino

Reaction score
foolishly, I changed two processes with my latest brew:

First time FWH
First time small dry hop with the addition of the wort to the fermentasaurus plus usual dry hop at five days.

Don’t ever use any fining agents, but always surprised how bright they are - even my current Pilsner.

Now I have a super cloudy galaxy pale ale. Which of these two processes are likely to have caused the cloudiness?

The second one, possibly yes. NEIPAs supposedly get some of their haze from polyphenols that are produced as a reaction between the very active yeast and hops. Certain yeasts can also supposedly be responsible for changing the structure of some of the hop oils (I think that it's the oils) to get the 'juicy' flavour

I use FWH most of the time and I always have (more or less) clear beer, or beer that drops clear after a couple of weeks.

But from dry hopping I did get the occasional cloudy to slightly cloudy beer, but never something like a NEIPA.

Yeah I did a pale and an IPA together recently and I dry hopped them way earlier than I normally would (just after high kraussen), they came out hazy AF! Looks good on the pale, but not a good look for what was meant to be a Red IPA (looks more like water chocolate milk, fortunately it tastes alright)!

Latest posts

Back