Underletting in a single vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thought of that, cos that would be perfect, but to get the right mash water measured in e.g. gf, you need to load water first, otherwise it's a sight guess, which i'm not great at.
i agree with bucket orientation, but green buckets let bad light into the grain, much like grolsch bottles. you'd have to wrap bucket in a big paper bag

There's way to mark levels that would make this pretty simple, just do a normal mash in, measure from the top with a straight ruler and you'd be sorted.

Hahaha. I also don't like protein rests on modern malts. So cold water mashing is a huge no for me haha.

I'll give it a go and see what happens!

Doesn't need to be a rest per se, just a slow ramp through the protein zone! My understanding is that for beta-glucan and protein rests that in modern malts this conversion happens during the malting process so if anything the ramp through the lower temps to your mash temp might result in a slightly drier beer. Only experimentation will answer this though.

I'd expect dry beer, poor head retention from a slow crawl through the mash temps. Cold water to 67 would take over an hour I would think.

Might experiment later down the track!

Good point, that makes way more sense
I guess not everyone is like me and has to filter water from near their tank at the back of the house, then carry it through the house in buckets to the garage to fill up their rig 😅

Good point, that makes way more sense
I guess not everyone is like me and has to filter water from near their tank at the back of the house, then carry it through the house in buckets to the garage to fill up their rig 😅
you're the mayor, put a parking inspector to good use and make THEM lug the water up

you're the mayor, put a parking inspector to good use and make THEM lug the water up
I don't think the first lady would agree to that
Maybe it's time to start training up the junior, 18 months is old enough to start helping with the brewing, right?

Maybe it's time to start training up the junior, 18 months is old enough to start helping with the brewing, right?
when my oldest was 18 months i used to pop her in the spent fermenter and she'd clean it from the inside. they're serious handy at that age. now she just turns up and drinks all my beer. but she's got a little one. mmmmmm,,,,,

If it helps I bought a length of food grade hose from these guys

https://www.clarencewaterfilters.com.au/product/drinking-water-hose-12mm-ppi-food-grade/
It's $3 a meter. It fits standard hose fittings so I put a connector on and I just connect to the outside tap and fill up. Put a ball valve on the end and bobs your uncle.

Maybe give it a thought. Easier to run a length of hose from the filter to the brew area than lugging.

when my oldest was 18 months i used to pop her in the spent fermenter and she'd clean it from the inside. they're serious handy at that age. now she just turns up and drinks all my beer. but she's got a little one. mmmmmm,,,,,
I get my 2yo to mix up the caustic cleaner, I don't wanna handle it. Too dangerous.

Just had a go at underletting my mash this morning, not single vessel, I have a 3V setup

HLT water at 59 C, filled tun to false bottom, goods in, added the rest of the water, 18 L total.

Mash temp was 48 C so warmed with HERMS to 54 in about 15 minutes, it's resting at 68 now.

I stirred to check for dough balls but there were none, what I did find was all the trapped air in the milled grain was liberated and it frothed a bit, no big deal other than the volume in the tun reduced a it, probably about 1 L.

Yep. Pretry certain still got to give it a stir but it apparently reduces oxygen and dough balls so why not? Also seems easier then stir, pour, stir, pour, stir, pour etc

Yes it's probably a bit less messy than dropping the grist into the water, no splashing to worry about, I may continue to do it this way, if I remember too.

Well I'm glad it worked! I found a video of a south African bloke doing it in a guten. He talks about the bottom popping up if you go too fast.

My understanding of underletting is setting the grain in position in the kettle and the strike water introduced from the bottom of the kettle as contrarian suggests. If its oxidising you are worried about boil the water first to drive off the oxygen and add some SMB.
Personally on a home brewing scale I would agree with sp0rk, apart from the rice hulls, home brew isn't likely to be hanging around for an age or travelling long distances.

My understanding of underletting is setting the grain in position in the kettle and the strike water introduced from the bottom of the kettle as contrarian suggests. If its oxidising you are worried about boil the water first to drive off the oxygen and add some SMB.
Personally on a home brewing scale I would agree with sp0rk, apart from the rice hulls, home brew isn't likely to be hanging around for an age or travelling long distances.
Thats why I said the main reason is apparently less dough balls and easier than pouring grain in. Oxygen is just a small side benefit that I probably negate by recirculation anyway.

Maybe give it a thought. Easier to run a length of hose from the filter to the brew area than lugging.
With no time for serious powerlifting training these days, I need the exercise

I did more or less what the bloke in the video above did when I brewed today, only I sat the malt pipe over the guten, poured in from my grinding bucket, then fairly quickly lowered the malt pipe
He's using the original bottom screen, I'd guess that's why his pops up
The new style sits in a lot more snugly

With no time for serious powerlifting training these days, I need the exercise

I did more or less what the bloke in the video above did when I brewed today, only I sat the malt pipe over the guten, poured in from my grinding bucket, then fairly quickly lowered the malt pipe
He's using the original bottom screen, I'd guess that's why his pops up
The new style sits in a lot more snugly
Awesome. How did you find it?

To be honest, not really much different to having the malt pipe down
Potentially less oxygen exposure
I guess because I use some rice hulls (I just do it now because I'd been having stuck sparges/slow draining) that potentially stops me getting dough balls because it opens the grain up to allow the liquor to seep in

Back