Under pitched Pilsner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
I put down an ESB pilsner latnight with 250g corn starch, 500g Light DME and 750g of Dextrose into 22L.

Surprisingly my OG was 1062.

Problem is the yeast supplied was an S33 but only 5g of it.

I think it will be vastly under pitched- what are my options?

Very hard to say this without sounding like a smartarse but...pitch more. I wasn't even aware you could get 5g packs.

FARK 25g?

I didn't know you could get 5g either till I saw the packet as I was tipping it in- didn't rehydrate either as I was rushed.

So I spose try and get a decent sized pack of S33, rehydrate pitch and hope for the best.

Last time I used an ESB was a IPA with the kit yeast- may well have been 5g too. It had an OG of 1050 and finished at 1012 so perhaps another 10g might do the trick?

As a general rule for most 20-23L brews, use one 11.5g packet of dry yeast. High gravity beers will need more though.

To rehydrate or not...that is a whole other issue. :ph34r:

What's a "larger"? Is that a really big beer? ;)

It'll still be fine and you'll make beer.

It'll be fruitier, finish with a higher FG, take longer and maybe be a bit sulphury.

Also, S33 is not a lager yeast. Sure you don't have S23, the yellow pack?

GalBrew said:
And double that for lagers.
Only if pitched cold!

We don't know what his pitching temp was.

Either way, 5g will still get you beer, but would be considered an under pitch with all its consequences.

TEmp controled at 18C. Definitely S33- ale yeast so wont be a true pilsner. Will throw in another pack- hopefully 11.5g. Not keen on fruitiness.

Droopy Brew said:
Not keen on fruitiness.
What you're making here is a Belgian Blonde or perhaps a Belgian Pale Ale. It's not going to be a Pils no matter what's on the can. The yeast makes the beer - it's the primary ingredient and determines the beer's style..

If you want a Pilsner - try 34/70, or S189 or S23 at 12C.

Just an update and surprising result.
I went to the Brew shop to get another packet of yeast and talked to the guy there about the situation and he suggested waiting another couple of days to see how it was attenuating before adding any more. So I took his advice.

After a couple more days it was into the high 1020s so I let it go. It has finished up at 1014 a few days ago and has been cold crashed and awaiting kegging this arvo.

So the 5g of kit yeast (pitched dry) at 18C has brought the wort from 1062 down to 1014 in about 8 days- not bad for an underpitched beer!

The taste? Well from my testers it is quite bitter and no hints of fruitiness. I would suggest the yeast is bloody good to have done the job it has.

Back