ultratap or intertap? is there a difference?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was half hoping that Keg Land would have done a side by side of the Nukatap and Ultratap, thats their usual MO. They are always good for a laugh. The keg one was the best, Robot arm doing 1,000,000 pulls on the tap a close second.
Terminology all wrong, Pasivating, instead of pickling, the tiny robot welder they developed to go through the 35 mm hole. I suppose since John Guest told KL to retract a statement after they did a comparison they may be a little wary.

I was half hoping that Keg Land would have done a side by side of the Nukatap and Ultratap, thats their usual MO. They are always good for a laugh. The keg one was the best, Robot arm doing 1,000,000 pulls on the tap a close second.
Terminology all wrong, Pasivating, instead of pickling, the tiny robot welder they developed to go through the 35 mm hole. I suppose since John Guest told KL to retract a statement after they did a comparison they may be a little wary.

You really are a one sided smart ass.

I would totally agree with this. Just so we can be sure that the test are done in an unbiased way I think we need a representative from KK and KL during the testing and we take video of both. We have tried to ask the CEO for this type of comparison many times but all he comes up with is statements like "we are satisfied with our products" or "they are selling very well" or "we don't get into matches like this".

So although the ceo makes big claims about his tap being "superior" its just strange to see him back down when asked to prove this. Our position remains the same. The Nukatap is a better designed tap that:
1. Reduces foaming especially on the first pour
2. Seals are more chemical resistant to wider range of beers such as very sour beers
3. When compared to the Ultratap the seals last longer meaning less maintenance

We are happy to do side by side comparison for all these tests and then release video on the topic but to avoid us being seen as biased we really need the CEO to participate.
[/QUOTE
Can you not run your business without Keg King? You still need to try and divert those looking for us with www.kegking.cn and now you want to find legitimacy this way? You copied our snubnose after shitting over it on this forum (yes see your own post) and then you basically made the same thing as your all rounder. You might copy our product ideas but its beyond your reach to beat them. Sorry we are comfortable and have no need to help you do what you want to do. Go and do your own thing. We have bigger fish to fry.

I have reached out to brulosophy for their unbiased scientific commentary on this topic to see if there is actually any difference in taps for the modern day home brewer.

I'd recommend not bringing the rest of the world into this. It's all getting a bit embarrassing for Aussie homebrewers. The market will sort itself out. YouTube reviews and comparisons will not doubt get released.

WEAL do you really think the mini kegs (or any keg) aren't welded by some sort of machine? because the sure as sh*t aren't hand welded..

WEAL do you really think the mini kegs (or any keg) aren't welded by some sort of machine? because the sure as sh*t aren't hand welded..
I put a video up before you ever posted on AHB it was in the mini keg thread which one I can't remember. Now if that was a robot welding the mini-kegs then China is miles ahead of Japan in producing androids. I have been in lots of factory's in China and Vietnam most are very labour intensive. Being consistently loyal is one thing consistently gullible another, do you seriously believe that mini kegs are being welded from the inside by some sort of robot? On a production line!
If I had invented such a machine I wouldn't be importing cheap brewing gear from China, I would be cruising the world on a luxury yacht having drinks with Branson and the like.
Full size kegs being produced in China.

Kegs being produced in Germany, also notice no filler rod needed due to the thickness of the material far thicker than a mini keg which needs filler rod.

I put a video up before you ever posted on AHB it was in the mini keg thread which one I can't remember. Now if that was a robot welding the mini-kegs then China is miles ahead of Japan in producing androids. I have been in lots of factory's in China and Vietnam most are very labour intensive. Being consistently loyal is one thing consistently gullible another, do you seriously believe that mini kegs are being welded from the inside by some sort of robot? On a production line!
If I had invented such a machine I wouldn't be importing cheap brewing gear from China, I would be cruising the world on a luxury yacht having drinks with Branson and the like.
Full size kegs being produced in China.

Kegs being produced in Germany, also notice no filler rod needed due to the thickness of the material far thicker than a mini keg which needs filler rod.

There are machines doing the welds in these videos? So I am confused?

There are machines doing the welds in these videos? So I am confused?
From the inside? They are kegs, the video I posted on the mini keg thread the mini kegs were being welded by hand but they did revolve automatically.
I do believe there probably are mini-kegs being welded on machines, there is automatic wire feed but definitely not from the inside. Even if you know nothing about welding, it still isn't logically sound.

I suppose since John Guest told KL to retract a statement after they did a comparison they may be a little wary.
companies should always be wary when doing any sort of comparison to another company's product - to the point where it's actually a stupid idea to do a comparison in any sort of marketing. the comparative advertising laws are strict af

That's why just about every comparison these days is to the same company's product (eg. duracell good ones run 10x longer vs their cheap shit)

From the inside? They are kegs, the video I posted on the mini keg thread the mini kegs were being welded by hand but they did revolve automatically.
I do believe there probably are mini-kegs being welded on machines, there is automatic wire feed but definitely not from the inside. Even if you know nothing about welding, it still isn't logically sound.

I am no welding expert, but you can get spot welders which reach in / around panels on cars for instance, the prongs of nozzles or whatever can be quite long and thin so it wasn't a great stretch of my imagination to thing something like this could be used to get inside a keg

all of this is definitely not relevant to this tap thread, but I am not sure it's relevant at all.. Is there an issue with the mini keg welds? I don't really care if a unicorn welded it. The welds in the 19l kegs I have look amazing so unless there's issues with the mini kegs, who really gives a sh*t?

Hi Guys I am suprised and amused by the crock regarding welding of kegs and even more suprised that their are no welders speaking up. With over 40 years of experience in the pressure welding industry I am amazed by some of the incorect comments on welding process's. Welding a stainless steel keg is a first year apprentice task is you have a qualified welding procedure/qualified welder and the right gear. It makes no difference if its a manual proceess, automated, robotic, orbital or whatever all long as you achieve the acceptance quality required. WEALS videos shows Tungsten Inert Gas Welding on a rotator, this gear has been around around for years. Their is no need to do internal welds if you have right gear, why weld from both sides if you can do from the outside. Piping is welded from the outside only all the time. These welds consistantly meet food grade or even oxygen service weld quality. No disrepect WEAL you are very knowledgeable but stick to brewing. The addition of filler material on no filler material is not dependent on thickness for starters, it depends on the procedure.

all of this is definitely not relevant to this tap thread, but I am not sure it's relevant at all.. Is there an issue with the mini keg welds? I don't really care if a unicorn welded it. The welds in the 19l kegs I have look amazing so unless there's issues with the mini kegs, who really gives a sh*t?
I never brought the kegs into it, you did. I posted the video to show how KL go about doing promotional videos by comparing a competitors product against their own and how unfair it is.
All my time in business I have never seen the like.
I can't fathom how you chose your allegiance being in Brisbane, and not knowing either company.
I am at the coal face in Springvale. I was buying from Keg King for years before Keg Land started, I saw lots of things, which I didn't like even then. You have seen how I have been called out for having a go at Keg Land, but when Keg Land started posting on this forum how much shit they threw at Keg King when Keg King had no right of reply. Maybe you like companies which act in an underhanded way, trying to get away with using others trade marks, or blatantly using another companies patent, without a thought for their wholesale/retail customers who have bought products in good faith using anothers trade mark or patent.
I have seen it called innovative, not what I would call it . There soon comes the day when the piper has to be paid.

Last edited:
Hi Guys I am suprised and amused by the crock regarding welding of kegs and even more suprised that their are no welders speaking up. With over 40 years of experience in the pressure welding industry I am amazed by some of the incorect comments on welding process's. Welding a stainless steel keg is a first year apprentice task is you have a qualified welding procedure/qualified welder and the right gear. It makes no difference if its a manual proceess, automated, robotic, orbital or whatever all long as you achieve the acceptance quality required. WEALS videos shows Tungsten Inert Gas Welding on a rotator, this gear has been around around for years. Their is no need to do internal welds if you have right gear, why weld from both sides if you can do from the outside. Piping is welded from the outside only all the time. These welds consistantly meet food grade or even oxygen service weld quality. No disrepect WEAL you are very knowledgeable but stick to brewing. The addition of filler material on no filler material is not dependent on thickness for starters, it depends on the procedure.
Amazing how good the weld on the inside of a well purged keg can look.
I learned to purge a keg and weld all the fittings in before cutting the top off to make a keggel, saved a bunch of cleaning up and grinding.
Mark

PS
Had a look at an Intertap on Wednesday, personal opinion is it was a piece of shit I wouldn't put beer through (know nothing about who made it and care less) the internal finish was as rough as guts. Particularly the shuttle, machining ridges all over it, there the slot was cut for the actuator handle goes there were metal feathers you coy cut yourself on.
The beer is coming out of a round tube being split into 4 flow paths over/through/around the shuttle and actuator then remerging into the spout. Any talk of laminar flow is a joke, not even an attempt as constant volume or non turbulent flow that I could see. The sort of thing you get when a machinist comes up with a design that is cheap and easy to make without any regard for the flow dynamics of beer. Design and build quality is guaranteed to cause breakout (that's foaming for the uninitiated)
Ok they are cheap give them that, I have Brumby taps and I know they are 4 or 5 times the price but when you take both apart you can see why.
Not even suggesting people buy professional taps (I can hear asholes snapping shut all over the country) but Jesus 7 pages of detailed comparison between cow flop and horse turd.
Mark

PS
Had a look at an Intertap on Wednesday, personal opinion is it was a piece of shit I wouldn't put beer through (know nothing about who made it and care less) the internal finish was as rough as guts. Particularly the shuttle, machining ridges all over it, there the slot was cut for the actuator handle goes there were metal feathers you coy cut yourself on.
The beer is coming out of a round tube being split into 4 flow paths over/through/around the shuttle and actuator then remerging into the spout. Any talk of laminar flow is a joke, not even an attempt as constant volume or non turbulent flow that I could see. The sort of thing you get when a machinist comes up with a design that is cheap and easy to make without any regard for the flow dynamics of beer. Design and build quality is guaranteed to cause breakout (that's foaming for the uninitiated)
Ok they are cheap give them that, I have Brumby taps and I know they are 4 or 5 times the price but when you take both apart you can see why.
Not even suggesting people buy professional taps (I can hear asholes snapping shut all over the country) but Jesus 7 pages of detailed comparison between cow flop and horse turd.
Mark
There are a lot of things out there labelled Intertap. Many non-genuine ones imported from China. Some even had Intertap with Flow Control. So not sure what you have but does not sound like a real one. The Intertap was and is not a laminar flow tap.

Right and I remember the fake Micromatic regs to, not to mention gas bottles with swarf in them, non functional residual pressure valves... talking about the tap I was looking at with intertap printed on it.
If you own the IP and someone is making crap knockoffs its your problem to fix, not mine to prove who made the tap before having an opinion on it.
Haven't looked at the internals of any of the others under discussion, wouldn't expect anything better.

Right and I remember the fake Micromatic regs to, not to mention gas bottles with swarf in them, non functional residual pressure valves... talking about the tap I was looking at with intertap printed on it.
If you own the IP and someone is making crap knockoffs its your problem to fix, not mine to prove who made the tap before having an opinion on it.
Haven't looked at the internals of any of the others under discussion, wouldn't expect anything better.
Well I have no idea where you bought your "Intertap" but we only sell the genuine article. Sadly we cannot control what is made in China. We are happy to stand behind the quality of our products and try our best to make sure our customers get value for their money. If you get a watch that says Rolex and look at it and its badly made do you blame the people who make and sell Rolex?

Last edited:
I never brought the kegs into it, you did. I posted the video to show how KL go about doing promotional videos by comparing a competitors product against their own and how unfair it is.
All my time in business I have never seen the like.
I can't fathom how you chose your allegiance being in Brisbane, and not knowing either company.
I am at the coal face in Springvale. I was buying from Keg King for years before Keg Land started, I saw lots of things, which I didn't like even then. You have seen how I have been called out for having a go at Keg Land, but when Keg Land started posting on this forum how much shit they threw at Keg King when Keg King had no right of reply. Maybe you like companies which act in an underhanded way, trying to get away with using others trade marks, or blatantly using another companies patent, without a thought for their wholesale/retail customers who have bought products in good faith using anothers trade mark or patent.
I have seen it called innovative, not what I would call it . There soon comes the day when the piper has to be paid.

You specifically mentioned the welding in your post and included a video link.. so, yeah, you bought up kegs champ!

I don't have an allegiance as you clearly do. Like I said to Captain Keg King elsewhere, the minute he has something I want & need, I will buy it

You obviously have been told a story or interpreted one about what happened with the divorce but I honestly could give two sh*ts. I think you've chosen sides and it it just burns you that KegLand make more stuff people want than KegKing

This whole 'right of reply' Keg King was blocked blah blah blah line is so tired. You know what their right of reply is? making stuff people want that's better than the competition... and I am sorry, but on this topic of Inter/Ultra tap, the Ultra is the equivalent of copying someones homework and changing it a bit to try and get away with it. At least KegLand put some effort into attempting to improving the design.

Also, It's funny that with your 'all your time in business' you are still somehow surprised that it is RUTHLESS and no one cares about anyones hurt feelings.

Keg King should be thankful they got to keep the original Fermentasaurus design. Maybe the people at KegLand should stay on their Christmas Card list

Back