Ultratap Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Reaction score
Own three ultrataps but one in particular seems to not want to close properly. Has anyone else had problems with these? Seems to be when a certain keg is hooked up that i suspect might be slightly overcarbed but still seems to pour well enough. Can an overcarbed beer stop a forward sealing tap from closing properly? Have slight foaming in the line....Tap seems okay with another keg

Just get slight drizzle/dripping when I use this one keg and not the clunk noise when I turn the tap off, that I get when using other kegs. It’s got me baffled.

Adjusting the bonnet collar gives various results, but only seems to be the one keg so I’m not sure if it’s even that. I don’t think the keg is overcarbed to the point it would stop a tap from sealing as it pours okay but I’m stumped. Any tips how to adjust these taps/possible causes or advice would be greatly appreciated. Surely it wouldn’t have anything to do with the liquid post on offending keg, but I’ve really got no idea...

Cheers

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem with your ultratap. Some people claimed these were the best taps in the universe, sorry might be paraphrasing there. I'd be surprised if it's the keg causing the tap to leak.

But to try to help, have you taken the tap apart and checked for anything that might be obstructing where the seal seats. Inspect for any surface damage or poor manufacturing where it sealsand check the seal on the front of the shuttle for damage. Also a bit of keg lube can also help. Check the spring tension against one of the other taps.

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem with your ultratap. Some people claimed these were the best taps in the universe, sorry might be paraphrasing there. I'd be surprised if it's the keg causing the tap to leak.

But to try to help, have you taken the tap apart and checked for anything that might be obstructing where the seal seats. Inspect for any surface damage or poor manufacturing where it sealsand check the seal on the front of the shuttle for damage. Also a bit of keg lube can also help. Check the spring tension against one of the other taps.
So adjusted all taps, disassembled and checked seals, lubed seals. All taps work fine with starsan keg and another beer keg. Seal perfect. When I hook up offending keg, drips and doesn’t seal right. Getting decent bubbles in line so I’m assuming it’s out of balance as getting a decent whack of foam too. Venting keg as we speak. Could it be simply an out of balance keg affecting the sealing function of the taps? Hence why the other kegs hooked up makes the tap perform perfectly. I’m pretty sure it’s not the taps now.

Other than the keg being overcarbed, could an obstruction in the long dip tube, poor post seal or something else cause this? Keg holds pressure well without disconnects hooked up.

Thanks for your help. Never had this happen before!

It does sound like something is restraining the flow from that keg. The usual culprit tends to be a bit of hop matter stuck in the poppet spring in one of the posts or disconnects.

So I’ve concluded that in order for these forward sealing taps to seal correctly, a balanced pressure is needed to push the shuttle firmly closed. Emptied the keg yesterday (drank it), refilled with starsan solution, set the gauge to serve and the tap and keg performed perfectly.

The tap sealed better as we drank it, pulled about 10 pints from it without gas hooked up and it slowly improved the tap performance. I think the farty keg was overcarbed and co2 was coming out of solution in the line, causing a pressure variance jiggling the shuttle in the tap...

I’ll keep an eye on it but that’s what I’m going with at the moment...

Never doubted there would be an issue with the tap.:)
Seriously! That totally sounds like an issue with the tap, if it's only this tap then it's faulty if it's all of the taps then it's a design fault with the ultratap. It should seal no matter what the liquid behind it is doing.

I've got 2 celli fc taps on my keezer and I've got 1 intertap fc for my portable setup, bought from kk a few years ago, and none of them leak when I've over carbed a keg.

It could absolutely be a design fault. There’s minimal parts in these things so who knows. If I have on going problems with these things I’ll upgrade. It’s not something I’ve encountered before!

The only definite I’ve got is the overcarbed keg. The taps work perfect when the whole system is how it should be.

The taps feel completely different when there’s pressure behind them. Sturdier I guess...

Is this how they’re meant to operate? Who knows - there’s literally no information out there on them, not even an internal diagram of the mechanics online...

Time will tell, but I’ve invested too much money on the rest of my setup to put up with poor taps, so I’ll upgrade to commercial standard gear if need be.

Cheers

Back