Uk Pubs Shut At Record Rate As Recession Calls Time.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCT

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=840774

Pubs are closing down at a record rate of seven a day in the UK, as the recession calls closing time for local boozers.

According to the British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA), 52 pubs and 461 jobs a week are being lost, with the smaller traditional local pubs the biggest victims.

The BBPA said the industry has faced a double whammy since hard-up drinkers began cutting back on nights out and the government cranked up taxes by 20 percent.

David Long, BBPA chief executive said the recession was hitting Britain's pubs hard with nearly 2400 pubs shutting in the last year. There are now 53,466 pubs across Britain.

"However, those economic pressures have been made much worse by a government that has continued to pile on tax and regulatory burdens. The last two budgets have seen a 20 percent increase in beer tax, which alone has added more than 600 million pounds to our tax bill."

The government's climbing taxes however, seem to have backfired. The BBPA figures reveal that the record closure of pubs is hitting the government's coffers to the tune of 254 million pounds in lost taxes.

The government is losing nearly 5.5 million pounds a week in taxes as pubs close down.

Job losses in the sector are costing the government a further 1.53 million a week in job seekers allowance.

"Closing pubs are not only a loss to communities, but a loss to the Treasury," said Dr Long.

"Government should look at valuing and rewarding pubs as community assets. Not only would this have social policy benefits by supporting a hub of community cohesion, but financial policy benefits in terms of tax revenues, particularly at a time when the public purse is stretched."

Local community pubs are faring the worst, closing at a rate of 40 every week, while branded pubs and cafe style bars are actually opening at 2 per week, the BBPA said.

Very sad, the heart of most villages is the old pub. However it would be interesting to see a breakdown of where the pub closures are occurring. In urban areas, particularly 'working class' suburbs most people don't actually drink in pubs, but rather in Clubs that are, in many ways, similar to our RSL and Sports/Bowls/leagues type clubs. When I lived in Newcastle I would drink in the pubs in the city (referred to in the local lingo as bars, not pubs) which are frequented by office workers and people visiting the city for the day, just like the Platform Bar in Bris as one example. However in the suburbs more often than not the 'estate' pub after dark is the place where people drink when they have been banned from the clubs.

Hm sounds like Bribie Island :lol:

In the North of England the clubs are so numerous they have (had) their own brewery at Gateshead, It's been taken over by Newcastle Breweries but still brews 'Northern Clubs Federation' beers. Many a night I was whacked out on Fed special, a nice blonde strong bitter. mmmm

On my last visit to the UK I found that there weren't too many people in the pubs, even the old Three Horse Shoes in my Grans old village was almost deserted. That was in the boom times so I don't know if it's a result of the recession, maybe a social 'shift' in the modern Pom population.

Probably there, as here, the rise of a subclass of feral binge drinkers prone to glass you if you look at them the wrong way is a reason why a lot of people choose to drink in safer environments. Not good news for regional brewers and micros however.

Of course they do... all the poms are out here.... whinging!!!!!

;)

look on the bright side fellas, there should be heap of beer engines flooding ebay in the next few weeks

off to go check out eb...er, clean the house, yeah that's it

A lot of it is due to taxation on beer the old government cash cow.

When I was a lad it was 2 bob a pint and the pubs were full every night.

Once beer got to the price where most people actually had to think about it the pubs were mostly deserted throughout the week and busy at weekends.

Simplistic maybe but started the Binge Drinking mentality as the only nights everybody hit town was Friday and Saturday.

10 pints and a curry and chips takeaway. :icon_vomit:

drinkers began cutting back on nights out and the government cranked up taxes by 20 percent.

Land of Hope and Glory,
Mother of the Free,
How shall we extol thee,
who are born of thee?

The tax portion increasing by 20% would most likely equate to something like a 5% increase overall. I'd say we've had a bigger increase here in the price per glass. I'd be looking for another reason if I really wanted to get to the bottom of the issue.

The smoking ban has also taken its toll [and I`m a non smoker]. No one wants to stand outside on a cold winters night. Also cheap supermarket beers.

worked in a pub in campden town in the 60"s, half bitter one and three

Yup pint two and six or half a crown. Bet you wore hipster pants and a camel coat as well :lol: Not to mention the platforms. Don't get me going :blink:

look on the bright side fellas, there should be heap of beer engines flooding ebay in the next few weeks

That was my first thought!

Shame though, now it will be a two block walk to the nearest pub not a one block walk for many a local over there...!

Just had a 4 day break staying in a caravan in North Wales. All the pubs we went in were as dead as a dodo. A lot also seem to open part time only, and this is in a big tourist area. They were so boring the last night I got a 4 pint plastic container filled with Conwy Welsh Pride and stayed in the caravan all evening. Still managed to drink 4 different real ales in 4 days.

she was a rough pub, didnt have to dress up to much. called the Southhampton then now renamed the Crescent looked it up on google earth looks quite trendy now :D

whats the take-home sales like in the UK? NSW is 75 home/25 on premise. Would be interesting to know ...

One of our papers mentioned home sales are about to overtake pub and club sales on beer

Am currently on Picaddilly in Manchester at the Gardens Hotel and i can say you don't have to go far to find a pub! Which seem to be doing good business. Maybe it's more the rural areas that are being affected?
Mmmm real ale pints...........

Oh and by the way I am amazed at how many people drink fosters over here!!! They must have one massive marketing budget!

Cheers
clatty

One of our papers mentioned home sales are about to overtake pub and club sales on beer
The thing about home sales in the UK is that you can buy liquor just about anywhere. Sure in Australia there are 'in store' liquor departments in some supermarkets in some states, but here in Queensland (I don't know about SA or WA) you can't just put a six pack in the supermarket trolley. In the UK it's just so easy to chuck a few four packs of Stella in the trolley on your way to the meat aisle. Also most of the chains have their own brands of beer, not the best but some of them aren't too bad, I remember Safeway having a pretty good euro strong lager. Love those 440 / 500 ml cans as well, that's a real fist full of drink as opposed to woosy little 330s :icon_drunk:

Back