UBER

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
butisitart said:
get wrapped around a tree in an uber and find out how insured you aren't. nrma, suncorp etc won't insure cos they're not public transport vehicles.
uber drivers can go 0.05 alcohol cos a cop at an rbt isn't going to know that they're pretending to be a taxi. personally, i like to know that the guy driving me home is on 0.00, and i wouldn't be able to smell it on him if i've had a few.
cabs get a full machinery every 6 months. ubers don't. so you don't know what's under the bonnet.
cab drivers have to have had a licence for 5 years. ubers don't, so you get driven around by a 14 year old.
all cab drivers have a blue card. the occasional uber has.
you'd have to ask who'd drive an uber. uni students (too young to drive a cab, but they need to eat). guys on the dole not declaring it (good on you). cos an uber driver makes about the same per km as a cabbie driving for an owner. except the cabbie isn't then paying to run his private car as a cab. so if you were going to do it for a real job, you'd go and drive a cab and keep your own car to impress the girlfiend/boyfriend.
yep... cabs suck. uber sucks big time
Kind of ironic then that taxi cars are mostly dirty and in a state of disrepair, and the drivers drive like they ARE drunk. Seriously, these guys are meant to be professional drivers, they are the worst drivers on the road bar none. And this is from the perspective of both a passenger and a fellow road user - more often than not I see taxis pulling out without warning, failing to indicate etc., when I'm driving.

It is generally the lowest of the low jobs, being a taxi driver. It was the Greeks two generations back, then Indians and now it is Africans. That is not meant to be a racist comment. It's just a fact (and a generalisation). Point being, it's a tough job, with little reward and a fair amount of risk - it doesn't attract the best candidates. People who know the roads. People who are competent drivers. People who have some level of personal hygiene and customer service. And this is probably due to the amount of money that gets tied up in license fees and absorbed by management.

Uber gets around this. Uber X doesn't have insurance (Uber Black does). But with taxis generally being so horrendous, most people (myself included) are willing to take the risk.

FYI Heads up !!

might be issues with UBER accounts.... or maybe just mine

i just got an email for a ride in MEXICO !!! and it hit my master card as well.....i am sitting in Brisbane...

i took an uber on Sat night now somehow it's being used elsewhere.... waaay to sus i reckon

had to cancel the Ccard.... FFS i hate doing that

Maheel said:
FYI Heads up !!

might be issues with UBER accounts.... or maybe just mine

i just got an email for a ride in MEXICO !!! and it hit my master card as well.....i am sitting in Brisbane...

i took an uber on Sat night now somehow it's being used elsewhere.... waaay to sus i reckon

had to cancel the Ccard.... FFS i hate doing that
This is the reason I have it linked to my PayPal account. Use PayPal on as much things as I can.

butisitart said:
get wrapped around a tree in an uber and find out how insured you aren't. nrma, suncorp etc won't insure cos they're not public transport vehicles.
uber drivers can go 0.05 alcohol cos a cop at an rbt isn't going to know that they're pretending to be a taxi. personally, i like to know that the guy driving me home is on 0.00, and i wouldn't be able to smell it on him if i've had a few.
cabs get a full machinery every 6 months. ubers don't. so you don't know what's under the bonnet.
cab drivers have to have had a licence for 5 years. ubers don't, so you get driven around by a 14 year old.
you'd have to ask who'd drive an uber. uni students (too young to drive a cab, but they need to eat). guys on the dole not declaring it (good on you). cos an uber driver makes about the same per km as a cabbie driving for an owner. except the cabbie isn't then paying to run his private car as a cab. so if you were going to do it for a real job, you'd go and drive a cab and keep your own car to impress the girlfiend/boyfriend.
haha. you've obviously not read all the posts above. move along.

Would suggest that government has an agenda to turn a blind eye to uber and a few brown envelopes are involved or political donations to get rid of licenses without paying compensation .

How good is this, in SA the Government finally approved UBER entry into the state with a $1 State Government levy on every taxi ride and a Government levy on weekend usage for the purpose of covering the compensation that is to be paid to taxi owners. Well UBER has decided not to proceed in this state due to red tape, high entry fees and time taken to obtain police etc clearances but the f%$^ing government is still going to proceed with the additional charges to cover when somebody DOES?? enter an alternative service.
What a joke.

Iirc this $1:00 fee/ levy/tax was to recoup the $ 30,000.00 they are/were giving to every licensed Taxi plate owner for each plate to " encourage business growth".
This was roughly 4 weeks ago,when people cracked the shits about it the Wherethefuckarewe state gubnment said " oh no it's for the running of the disability cabs ".
Lying tossers.
I heard an interview on the ABC between the Uber man,the SA taxi boss and the SA transport minister ,**** me the 2 SA knobs went in totally unprepared and dumb with blinkered biased claims, the Uber man shot them both down in flames it was ****'n brilliant to listen to.
They claimed it wasn't safe for women passengers, **** me what selective memories given sexual assaults against women by Taxi drivers in Adelaide in the not too distant past.
The claims were many and all were shot down with offered verification .
Was an interesting interview to listen to.

As per the SAPOL checks ( SA.) such checks are still done manually, not computerised because it would cost too much to get into the 21 st century.
Oh and the state is broke.

butisitart said:
If all you say about Uber is true (it isn't), the driver wouldn't last a week. They'd get such shit reviews, no one would hire them. Uber drivers live and die by their reviews and besides which, there's an audit trail that any driver is responsible for their actions and can be traced back. You're clearly not an uber user, which is fine but you speak without knowledge.

Ps. Uber X drivers are well covered by insurance. Every journey has 20 million coverage provided by uber themselves.

A lot of misinformation in this thread, have a family member that is doing über occasionally to save some extra cash.

Uber does cover trips, RACV does cover uber drivers in Melbourne and the uber account is t activated until a few things are ticked off. The car gets a once over by a mechanic before it is allowed to be driven.

In his case he had some speeding fines which initially prevented the account being activated, this was rectified by completing a medical and applying for a license through the Victorian taxi commission. Which includes a police check and a driving history check.

I also heard a harrowing story involving a yellow cabs taxi driver in a very affluent suburb of Melbourne which made me feel ill. The company refused to cooperate, charges will be laid but even though the company knows which driver it was they are making it difficult.

The other thing if this was uber, if something bad happens. You have the drivers name, the car rego, you have where you were picked up/dropped of plus what time. Also the drivers photo comes up on the app, so you don't agree to be driven by Joe blogs and are picked up by Dave unlicensed (which I dare say happens in the taxi game)

Some thoughts.

try and get workers comp if you get wrapped around a tree by an uber while youre on a work related trip. (in states where uber is illegal).
and if half a dozen sub continental cabbies chip in and buy a camry for an uber, (and a lot do), then how come uber cars smell like roses and cabs stink??

because if a driver's rating goes below 4.6 out of 5, they get the boot. Imagine if cabs had that kind of incentive

Would suggest that if you are driving or working for uber that now is the honeymoon period and when they get control someone is going to get F***ED you have probably seen that show under cover arshole and that how they act when on camera .

Back