U_brew_it Report

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
I went to the new U-Brew_it store on the Gold Coast today. It's a franchise of the u-brew-it chain that has stores is brisbane and Perth I think. Basically you go in and chose the style of beer you want, they provide you with the ingredients which consist of malt extract and specialty grains, hop pellets and yeast. So in essence what we are talking about is an all extract brew (some have crushed specialty grains) with 3 hop pellet additions(bittering,flavour + aroma). They use Marui dry yeast, apparantly seperate lager and ale strains. The equipment is impresive, all stainless and shiny. They use large SS gas fired kettles, pumps for transfer, a heat exchanger, two fermentations rooms (one at 18C for the primary(14 days) and one at approx. 2C for the secondary(about 5-7 days I think), 0.5 micron filters and forced carbonation. You can bottle or have the beer put in a keg. The price varied from $120-$140 for 6 cartoons (about 50 L).

Seems a bit expensive for extract brewing, however they are using fresh hops and u get access to all the shiny professional brewing equipment + controlled temp fermentation. I think that getting filtered and carbonated beer at the end would be a big attraction for most home brewers. It not all grain but is a vast improvement on the avereage can brew. Fr the average brewer, the convenience and resuls are worth the cost IMHO.....I'lll be sticking to the AG homebrew myself.... :beerbang:

p.s hve no affiliation with the franchise

Cheers

I believe they will make it for you too if you dont have the time.

deadly said:
I believe they will make it for you too if you dont have the time.
[post="90801"][/post]​
At the least you have to pitch the yeast. It is part of their licensing.

They will pitch the yeast if they trust you not to tell. They also have a system in Perth where there is a communal fridge, you put some of your 50 l in there and take an equivalent amount of someone elses out, so you get some different beers, rather than 50 l of the same. Its a good scheme for some people, not for brewers though.

A better option is Bacchus brewing in Capalaba - similar to U-brew, but All Grain. They also recently purchased an automated bottling line, to make life even easier...

There's spose to be a u-brew type place on the north shore of syd. anyone tried it / know any details ?

A better option is Bacchus brewing in Capalaba - similar to U-brew, but All Grain. They also recently purchased an automated bottling line, to make life even easier...

I just went today to Bacchus to make an appointment for Saturday to do a brew. Would doing a brew there sort of give me an idea how to do AG or not.

Cheers
Darren

Edit: Sorry old post which I have just revived. Please disregard. :p

I just went today to Bacchus to make an appointment for Saturday to do a brew. Would doing a brew there sort of give me an idea how to do AG or not.

Cheers
Darren

Edit: Sorry old post which I have just revived. Please disregard. :p

No problem reviving old threads. :)

Yes, it will give you a very good idea of the process, then put your hand up to watch one of the local Brisbane AGer's do a batch & you'll see how easy it is...

cheers Ross

I have done a few of brews with Bacchus a couple of years ago before I got my own setup and was extremely happy with the results. Essentially you are using professional quality gear, I would guess that they would be using pretty fresh ingredients due to the turn over, and all done with little effort. Definately prefer the AG brew to the extract brews, which by the way can be very good I might add. And plenty of down time to ask all the question you want. Friendly guys over there too.
Cheers
Scott.

Thankyou Ross and onescooter. Was not sure on the rules with reviving old thread because some forums don't appreciate it.
I will do a few brews like at Bacchus then look at trying to find a AG brewer around my area which is Redlands area and hopefully start towards building my own AG setup.

Cheers
Darren

Thankyou Ross and onescooter. Was not sure on the rules with reviving old thread because some forums don't appreciate it.
I will do a few brews like at Bacchus then look at trying to find a AG brewer around my area which is Redlands area and hopefully start towards building my own AG setup.

Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren,

You won't have far to look, I'm down at Carbrook, all of 10 minutes away :)
Make sure you report back on the Bacchus experience.

Cheers Ross

Hi Darren,

You won't have far to look, I'm down at Carbrook, all of 10 minutes away :)
Make sure you report back on the Bacchus experience.

Cheers Ross

I might just take you up on the offer :) I will report back hopefully on the 17th of this month on experience with Bacchus.

I had a sample down at Bacchus yesterday called Arties Special which is a Bacchus Pilsner and all I can say about it is that it is one of the best beers I have ever sampled. Beats commercial beer any day and hopefully AG is just as good.

Cheers
Darren

I might just take you up on the offer :) I will report back hopefully on the 17th of this month on experience with Bacchus.

I had a sample down at Bacchus yesterday called Arties Special which is a Bacchus Pilsner and all I can say about it is that it is one of the best beers I have ever sampled. Beats commercial beer any day and hopefully AG is just as good.

Cheers
Darren

Bloody hell man! If you are venturing to the Carbrook den of eniquity, ensure you have a driver or a cab arranged.

If you dig up some more old posts, you will see that Ross is reknown for his advice and hospitality. With >10 beers on tap, GOOD LUCK! :D

And if you are REALLY game, visit Bindi and ask him if he has any "heavy" beers going. :rolleyes:

When i went to u brew it down in wollongong ( opened up just recently ) i was told that lager yeast and ale yeast best fermented at 22 degrees (their cool room temp) and when i asked what yeast they used for belgian beers the lady took me to a glass doored fridge and showed me all the hop pellets! they were even labeled! <_<
They also measure out the "grain additions" with a small cup. They have a barley wine recipe that finishes at 10% + alcohol that finishes in the standard time of 2 weeks with ordinary ale yeast at 22 degrees. wonder what their liability is for bottle bombs??
I dont know, but if you are an AG brewer i would find it difficult to recommend going there, but probably a good thing for the mega swillers as they have about 130 different recipies. Start them thinking along the right lines anyway.. :D

Bloody hell man! If you are venturing to the Carbrook den of eniquity, ensure you have a driver or a cab arranged.

If you dig up some more old posts, you will see that Ross is reknown for his advice and hospitality. With >10 beers on tap, GOOD LUCK! :D

And if you are REALLY game, visit Bindi and ask him if he has any "heavy" beers going. :rolleyes:

:lol: Ross is the most Hospitable person I know.
Let be know I have made a few mid style beers here also , you got to love those Belgian styles though. :party:

Latest posts

Back