U Brew It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swiftyb said:
Bit of a thread revival here - I've been to the UbrewIt in tullamarine (victoria) a few times and the beer has been drinkable. Its a bit of fun to get out with the boys and have a few beers while making more. Not the cheapest - but gives a good overview of the process...

One thing I've noticed - no preservatives - no hangover which is great....

...but the alcohol content seems to be really low - i can smash 6+ bottes before feeling tipsy, where as mass-produced stuff would knock me about well before then. Any thoughts?

Never had a mention that they measured the OG / FG... if I go again - perhaps I'll bring a hydrometer.
When we took over a similar operation here in Brisbane, the previous owners brews were all coming in at approx 2% less than advertised. Next time you do a brew there, request to see the starting gravity & finishing gravity, If they can't do that for you, they probably don't have a clue. the resultant alc can then be easily calculated.

GalBrew said:
The processes at every self brew style place are so filthy you are guaranteed that every bottle/can is infected. If you keep them cool and drink them quick you won't have a problem. Keep them at room temp or for any length of time and you will get phenolic gushers (or explosions).
Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. It may apply to some but not all !!!

Ross said:
When we took over a similar operation here in Brisbane, the previous owners brews were all coming in at approx 2% less than advertised. Next time you do a brew there, request to see the starting gravity & finishing gravity, If they can't do that for you, they probably don't have a clue. the resultant alc can then be easily calculated.
Just out of curiousity...and a little OT

Do you think it was pure ignorance or a calcuated move to use less ingredients / more water in effort to reduce his production cost and increase his profit margin slightly?

I just had a play with a couple of my recipes and it looks like I would have to reduce my grain bill by about a third in come cases to be 2% out on the expected ABV.

GalBrew said:
Which preservatives are added to beer again???
Perhaps my mistake as to the cause - however - the no hangovers is tried, tested and accurate :)

Ross said:

Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. It may apply to some but not all !!!
My apologies Ross, but I am confident that you as a knowledgeable and diligent proprietor are in the minority. The sheer lack of brewing knowledge at the u-brew it style places that I have been to and the lack of quality in finished product that I have seen many a time astounds.

GrumpyPaul said:
Just out of curiousity...and a little OT

Do you think it was pure ignorance or a calcuated move to use less ingredients / more water in effort to reduce his production cost and increase his profit margin slightly?

I just had a play with a couple of my recipes and it looks like I would have to reduce my grain bill by about a third in come cases to be 2% out on the expected ABV.
Pure ignorance I think, they were just following recipes, but were taking no measurements, they wouldn't have had a clue what they were getting. Wrong on so many levels, legally & morally.

Liam_snorkel said:
probably because it's lower in alcohol.
Beer for beer - yes I'd agree, but I usually drink a lot more of them :)

One criticism that I would offer is that there is little to differentiate the beers in the way of flavour... they alll seem to have a 'ubrewit' taste :)

swiftyb said:
Beer for beer - yes I'd agree, but I usually drink a lot more of them :)

One criticism that I would offer is that there is little to differentiate the beers in the way of flavour... they alll seem to have a 'ubrewit' taste :)
Hmm, maybe that's an old extract taste.

swiftyb said:
Perhaps my mistake as to the cause - however - the no hangovers is tried, tested and accurate :)
Being mindful of not shifting topic, but on alcohol percentage as a part of consumption, preservatives may not participate in the cause of the physiological 'hangover' we think of. (Agree, different cause maybe swiftyb)

Overwhelming our enzyme stores of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase in the liver with waves of ethanol results in residual accumulation in acetaldehyde and thus the crap we feel.

I watched this on the plane a couple of times last month. Fascinating.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wdfhk

Linking back into topic, the lower alcohol levels could make one perceive the beer to cause less / no hangovers. Perhaps an intrinsic part of their marketing ploy. Or even simple commercial risk mitigation....imagine getting taken to court because your beer was way heavier and killed someone somehow. However, when forensic analysis reveals 1 point lower in alcohol content, the focus shifts away.

Then wrapping up: with a net medical benefit (i.e. less acetaldehyde toxicity), less risk of death (see the doco), and overall better impressions of the drinking experience...... it is reasonable to consider this as a morally positive act then? If we merely demand our pound of flesh, our pound of ethanol....then what are we really drinking for?

[Consideration only....not my personal view....Cosdog equipped with hypothetical brain chip....I love ethanol...I disagree with homeopathic linkages to drinking beer]

I did a tour of my local one in Kilburn, SA. I was basically sick of cleaning and putting all the stuff away and the thought of doing it all in a commercial kitchen seemed appealing.

The guy did go to great to trash home brewing (which seemed a little unnecessary).... I guess the whole business model does rely on people giving up on brewing at home.

They use coopers malt bought in bulk from the brewery up the road, so you know it's good quality and the same stuff I use at home. Also all US05 yeast... for everything. So if you did want to have a crack at a real good lager this isn't the place to do it. He did say you can bring your own extra grains and hops in if you want. So you should be able to crank out a decent APA there.

I didn't like the fact he just had one fridge at 22 degrees. If he'd turn the temp down 4-6 degrees, I'd probably have one bubbling away there now.

I reckon there would be a market for a place like this that offered you the facilities to do all grain brewing.

I personally prefer a nice spicy/pine note to my CO2

Back