U Brew It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of a Catch 22, really.....you`re assuming all experienced brewers are litterate.
You never know who`s out there looking into the screen :(

stagga.

Thanks stagga....you just made my point. I was hoping to get exactly this response from someone.....assuming all experienced brewers are literate is just as daft as assuming that everyone who hasn't had direct personal experience with one of these companies are all illiterate. ;) You don't necessarily need to have actually burnt yourself to know that an oven is hot. ;)

Thanks stagga....you just made my point. I was hoping to get exactly this response from someone.....assuming all experienced brewers are literate is just as daft as assuming that everyone who hasn't had direct personal experience with one of these companies are all illiterate. ;) You don't necessarily need to have actually burnt yourself to know that an oven is hot. ;)

Always a pleasure. :D

stagga.

I went into one of these places at Brendale about 2.5 years ago mainly out of curiosity and the owner gave me a pot of what he had on tap at the time and it tasted better than what I was making at the time. After all the tips and knowledge I have learnt on this forum I think I might return the favour and take in a bottle of one of my AG's for comparison.
Long story short if you havn't been to one and are interested in what it tastes like, drop in and ask for a taste and if they won't let you have a taste, that will answer your question.

Cheers Brad

Bit of a Catch 22, really.....you`re assuming all experienced brewers are litterate.
You never know who`s out there looking into the screen :(

This could easily become a thread about implied definitions :rolleyes: Nice one, Smurfy, to back yourself up with K's justification. I suspect that your statement was more 'off the cuff'. But anyway, chill out bro, it's a public forum, and opinions are like arseholes, in that we all have one (at least - I met a woman who's mother had two, and her son was one of them)

Anyway, my brewing neighbour banged on the door last week after coming back from the operation at Seven Hills (I think that's where he said it was) and showed me the very extensive pamphlet of available styles, which in itself was impressive. His point wasn't to make a beer better than he hinsel can produce, but to chip in with a couple of mates to create some cases with custom labels etc for a group wedding gift or something like that. What struck me as surprising was that the outline of the process was nothing like brewing your own. More a case of "take this pail, fill it with goo from vat four, chuck it into the boil". More surprising, of the five (or so) hop varieties, it was a case of "take this bucket, and measure out a portion from hopper number two". Not even the hop varieties were exposed, simply 'hop 1,2,3,4,5 etc). IMO it doesn't sound very inspiring.

The concept as a business model is a good one, and I won't begrudge the operators for doing something quite unique. But it's really geared for a 'blokey weekend' where the lads can get together and say they made their own beer, which in many cases should taste better than the common swill they're used to slugging down.

So +1 for the concept, but the subject is always going to create some friction on a brewer's website. Heck, even the humble kit &/or extract brewer has more control over their creations if they choose to diversify beyond opening a can and adding some sugars.

three-stooges.jpg

"This stuff is better than I thought....... Curley, get busy on another 40 cases.
Nyuck nyuck nyuck"

stagga.

three-stooges.jpg

"This stuff is better than I thought....... Curley, get busy on another 40 cases.
Nyuck nyuck nyuck"

stagga.

I think I met those guys last saturday at the case swap but I wont put names to faces :D

I think I met those guys last saturday at the case swap but I wont put names to faces :D

That's Half Fix on the right! :lol:

One of the guys I work with is a partner in one of these outfits and we finally talked beer today... it was pretty ugly as I'd expected. The usual 'homebrewers are the enemy" stuff. I asked about grain and he stopped, then mumbled something about 'well, I guess we are kind of ... mass producing the stuff so...er.. umm.. we don't sell hops to HBers are rule, as we like to keep the local HBS in business. We get hops cheaper than you can, less than half what the HBS charges".

Then I told him about Craftbrewer and we agreed to disagree. To keep it friendly I said I'd pop into the brewery and gloat over the #304 Stainless.

Later in the day he told me it was illegal for Craftbrewer to sell corny kegs! :lol: :lol:

One of the guys I work with is a partner in one of these outfits and we finally talked beer today... it was pretty ugly as I'd expected. The usual 'homebrewers are the enemy" stuff. I asked about grain and he stopped, then mumbled something about 'well, I guess we are kind of ... mass producing the stuff so...er.. umm.. we don't sell hops to HBers are rule, as we like to keep the local HBS in business. We get hops cheaper than you can, less than half what the HBS charges".

Then I told him about Craftbrewer and we agreed to disagree. To keep it friendly I said I'd pop into the brewery and gloat over the #304 Stainless.

Later in the day he told me it was illegal for Craftbrewer to sell corny kegs! :lol: :lol:

I can't believe they will only sell them to people that haven't got a clue. What about that beer on the way to the case swap Incider?, I can make better beer than that with K&K. But for a lot of people I here they don't have the time to make all-grain, man I don't have time to drink shit beer anymore.

QED

What struck me as surprising was that the outline of the process was nothing like brewing your own. More a case of "take this pail, fill it with goo from vat four, chuck it into the boil". More surprising, of the five (or so) hop varieties, it was a case of "take this bucket, and measure out a portion from hopper number two". Not even the hop varieties were exposed, simply 'hop 1,2,3,4,5 etc). IMO it doesn't sound very inspiring.

A smart move, in my opinion. If they explained the procedure properly and put a name to the hops, their customers would realise how easy it really is to brew beers of a similar quality and they would stay home to make their own. Not good for business. ;)

The beer we had at the U-Brew was AWFUL. I felt bad as I drank it - for the owner. He was working his arse off and had the 1000 yard malaria stare of desperation. I also felt bad for myself - the aftertaste was profoundly noticeable.

His assistant asked if we would like another beer - and immediately Jay let out a firm 'no', echoing our thoughts.

When Screwy was asked what type of beer he liked, he replied 'one with colour. flavour and aroma'. We were then offered the 'Cascade Stout - it's just like the one you can buy' :blink:

Anyway, I wish Nigel well, and I am jealous of those shiny steam boilers he has! :beerbang:

InCider.

I echo Incider's comments, but as I said to him on Saturday.............
I don't think it would be hard to convert one of those swill making shit-boats into a good All-Grain home brew center.
A couple of the boilers could be used as mashtuns and apart from buying shit malt from Lion Nation in NZ, they could get a mill and some grain and produce real beer.
I don't think it would be that hard, but the thing that would be the biggest challenge would be the time it takes to make a brew, but even when I tasted AG it didn't phase me. And if you didn't have to build an AG rig and could cruise in and use a system like that :icon_drool2:

Jay

seriously, we had all drunk these 'beer factory' beers and we all had the same thing. You'd be unable to breathe and cough so hard you spew just trying to breathe. not cool ^_^ it went on for months, the doctor had no idea what it was.

Sounds like whooping cough. A very contagious "childhood Illness" :) But sorry adults can get it too ;)

Never heard of beer as a vector fore a disease causing organism, but have read that the reason home brewing is safe is there is no beer infection that is harmful to man. I do remember a discussion thread around hear about the theoretical potential for botulism or something.

Have had post session symptoms that made me feel like i was gonna die tho, perhapse i had some of the same brew . Think the missus would believe me???? ;)

rgds mike

Bit of a thread revival here - I've been to the UbrewIt in tullamarine (victoria) a few times and the beer has been drinkable. Its a bit of fun to get out with the boys and have a few beers while making more. Not the cheapest - but gives a good overview of the process...

One thing I've noticed - no preservatives - no hangover which is great....

...but the alcohol content seems to be really low - i can smash 6+ bottes before feeling tipsy, where as mass-produced stuff would knock me about well before then. Any thoughts?

Never had a mention that they measured the OG / FG... if I go again - perhaps I'll bring a hydrometer.

quantocks said:
seriously, we had all drunk these 'beer factory' beers and we all had the same thing. You'd be unable to breathe and cough so hard you spew just trying to breathe. not cool ^_^ it went on for months, the doctor had no idea what it was.

you may aswell just do your own K&K and filter it, that's all these guys do basically.
sounds exactly like whooping cough

I first bought my kegerator went to the local U-Brewit in Rockingham. The guys there were great and the few brews I put on before going the home brew route were great. Even though I don't brew there anymore the guys are great, get 75% of my ingredients there and advice. There is no ill feelings that I am brewing at home and not on their premisis

I went to hospital free of charge! 4 internal stitches 5 external in my shoulder...Great infections and bottle bombs...

Grainer said:
I went to hospital free of charge! 4 internal stitches 5 external in my shoulder...Great infections and bottle bombs...
The processes at every self brew style place are so filthy you are guaranteed that every bottle/can is infected. If you keep them cool and drink them quick you won't have a problem. Keep them at room temp or for any length of time and you will get phenolic gushers (or explosions).

Latest posts

Back