Two Hearted IPA - Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a few members have posted that they are going to try this brew.
Well, please share your results.

Well a few members have posted that they are going to try this brew.
Well, please share your results.

I brewed this one about half way through May and I don’t know what I did wrong but I was very underwhelmed with the result.
I follow the recipe 100% from the grains and hops to the yeast. It was one of the most average beers that I have brewed, It tasted better than say Coopers Pale which was one of my favourite beers for many years but I had very high expectations due to all the reviews on beersmith and your own.
I have only been brewing since December but I have brewed some bloody tasty beers so I’m not sure what went wrong with this one, it didn’t have off flavours but was very bland and megaswill tasting which is why I never reported back.
I can’t see that the highest rated beer on beersmith and your best beer to date being what I brewed, I just can’t see where I went wrong, I bought enough ingredients for 2 batches so I might give it another crack but I didn’t rush back to try it again.

On a recent trip to America I did buy the Two Hearted Ale, for me it was the worst beer I had while over there, there are, as far as I am concerned far better beers and I must say I am not a fan of American beers.

It’s important to remember that due to this being a single hop beer, the quality of your hop is pretty much going to determine 80% of the beers profile, granted your sanitation, yeast and fermentation practices are sound.

A common mistake for homebrewers is to follow the hop schedule to a T, especially with regard to dry hopping. One of the best ways to significantly increase the flavour profile of your beers is to learn to trust your nose over a recipe.

Not saying that this is the direct reason why your beer turned out average. But time and time again I’ve smelt hops bought from home brew stores that have clearly been mishandled and stored....nonetheless we as home brewers still use them for dry hop just because they have a name that matches that which is on our recipe.
The reality is what we’re using smells and tastes nothing close to what the actual variety should express in a beer.

I'm going to do this again on the weekend (2nd time).
I'll report back shortly

Latest posts

Back