Two Hearted IPA - Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
The most rated beer on Beersmith, I thought I'd give it a try.
I followed the recipe EXACTLY.
Theres a LOT of hops involved.

Opened the Keg tonight.

This is the best beer ever EVER that I have made, and TASTED.

No wonder, it got the most likes.

Congrats mate. Was lucky enough to have the real thing recently, it's such a beautiful beer. Thanks for alerting me to the beersmith recipe, somehow I'd missed that one. Going to put this on soon.

The most rated beer on Beersmith, I thought I'd give it a try.
I followed the recipe EXACTLY.

Opened the Keg tonight.

This is the best beer ever EVER that I have made, and TASTED.

No wonder, it got the most likes.

Do you have a link to the beersmith recipe (or a picture or something)? Got my interest with your very enthusiastic review!

?? That calculates out (roughly) to about 150g in total - not even any whirlpool hops.. I'm sensing this might be a bit run-of-the-mill for frequent IPA brewers/drinkers?

I actually have this one on my to brew list .

but yeah, my 22 liters of IPA I have fermenting at the moment is copping 125g of centennial dry hop Saturday on top of the 125g of hops through the boil,most added late .

you can go bigger

Last edited:
IPA I have fermenting at the moment is copping 125g of centennial dry hop
Do love me some centennial!

you can go bigger
My recent IIPA had 1.8kg of fresh hops in it and just a hint (~125g) of pellets! ;)

This beer seems fairly boozy for a smallish hop charge, I'd probably remove the 30 min addition and go BIG on the whirlpool hops.. but that's just me..

Interesting I have a variation of this in the fermenter currently
I use the no chill / cube method so different hops schedule -I tend to just do a boil hops add and tehn either whirlpool or into the cube overnight
About to dry hop it over the next few days
looking forward to giving it a go

Interesting I have a variation of this in the fermenter currently
I use the no chill / cube method so different hops schedule -I tend to just do a boil hops add and tehn either whirlpool or into the cube overnight
About to dry hop it over the next few days
looking forward to giving it a go
Dilligaf, I'd be interested to know what your recipe was and what was your hop schedule was. Thanks

?? That calculates out (roughly) to about 150g in total - not even any whirlpool hops.. I'm sensing this might be a bit run-of-the-mill for frequent IPA brewers/drinkers?
On the hop scale, maybe run of the mill, but after you taste it, you might change your mind.

Im just thinking (sorry), at what point does the addition of hops make no difference?
i.e. Hops saturation point. Surely someone has already done this test?

My questions:
1. Adding Hops during boil to add bitterness - how much hops add before it makes no difference
2. Dry hopping / or steeping, same question - how much hops add before it makes no difference

Anyway, this beer is awesome. I dont know how its possible to improve on it. :)

On the hop scale, maybe run of the mill, but after you taste it, you might change your mind.
I accept your challenge BUT it will have to wait until I return from my US West Coast trip where I will be bathing in hops..

Im just thinking (sorry), at what point does the addition of hops make no difference?
Apparently anything over 9g/L..

Dilligaf, I'd be interested to know what your recipe was and what was your hop schedule was. Thanks
upload_2019-4-14_19-58-0.png

but I cant tell you what its like yet...
the steep whirlpool - I put in the cube
I was also supposed to use cascade an centennial in the dry hop - but just went with centennial

My questions:
1. Adding Hops during boil to add bitterness - how much hops add before it makes no difference
2. Dry hopping / or steeping, same question - how much hops add before it makes no difference

Anyway, this beer is awesome. I dont know how its possible to improve on it. :)
http://brulosophy.com/2019/02/21/th...ing-lessons-from-tom-shellhammer/#more-117889

I saw your question and thought to share this link on study based on dry hopping at variable amounts of a beer at 4.75%.

Although I haven't read the full report I suspect as ABV increases the ability to extract more from hops increases.

Anyway, I still like the Epic approach of 5/10/15 g/l dry hop for PA/IPA/DIPA

Last edited:
Had a few lads around last night and we hammered the two hearted.
The first taste reviews were the most important of course, the general consensus was 9/10.
9 because they longed for something better.

What I did notice though, was when I first tasted the beer (about 2 weeks of lagering), the aroma was better than it was last night.
Seemed the like the hop aroma was diminished. Am I imaging that?

Seemed the like the hop aroma was diminished. Am I imaging that?
That's pretty normal, hop aroma will diminish pretty quickly, that's why you gotta go heavy in the whirlpool/dryhop. How well you handle/package your beer will have an affect on this as well..

A friend and myself couldn't understand why this Bell's offering wasn't available everywhere in the States. Almost two years later it is represented at nearly all true beer outlets in can, bottle or both. It is IMO the standard by which others should be judged but the style is open to a wide interpretation. Just know that I am both encouraged and impressed that you recognize how unique this IPA is. Personally, I aspire to recreate Two Hearted Ale, though I'm more or a mild, brown, stout lover. Bell's Two Hearted Ale is incredible and on the backside "piney" which brewers here tend to overemphasize. There are numerous
Cheers!

Best IPA available in the State's IMO.
Not a big fan of piney finishes in fact I prefer milds, browns and stouts but this offering by Bells is the cats ass.

Back