Two Cans Bilo/coles For Base Of Barley Wine?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could use 2 cans of 1.7kg bilo/coles kits as a base for a barleywine??. I plugged it into beertools, along with some light and dark crystal malt, and some brown sugar. It is only a small batch, 10 litres, and it comes up at 1110. What do you guys reckon??. I dont really want to make a full batch of 11.5% ale haha. I would be using White labs dry english ale yeast, which has a fairly high alc tolerance, but i would be building that bas#$rd right up before pitching, and would make a second starter for the 2ndary ferment. I would also be dry hopping around 45g of willamette or similar. Obviously, this would not be drunk for at least 12 months.

Am i mad??

P.S if i leave this beer a total of 3 months, 1 month primary, and 2 months 2ndary, will it carb up o.k without adding more yeast??

Bugger <_< , i wouldn't mind making a small batch of b'wine, but dont want to use a sh&tload of my precious Maris otter. Any suggestions??

the problem with the 2 can mix is that your FG will be way to high, caramilise some sugar and use 1 hoped kit and 1kg of un hopped malt,

I went the other way...

Made a normal batch and uped to a barley wine with a kit. Here it is

Gale Cooper Prize Old Ale

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

12-A Barleywine & Imperial Stout, English-style Barleywine

Min OG: 1.080 Max OG: 1.120
Min IBU: 50 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 22 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 16.00 Wort Size (L): 16.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.86
Anticipated OG: 1.108 Plato: 25.43
Anticipated SRM: 13.8
Anticipated IBU: 65.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 22.86 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.075 SG 18.29 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7.3 0.50 kg. Munich Malt(light) Canada 1.034 15
65.6 4.50 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
1.5 0.10 kg. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
24.9 1.70 kg. Coopers LME - Light Australia 1.038 3
0.7 0.05 kg. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.15 45.2 120 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - B.C. Whole 5.05 16.1 120 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - B.C. Whole 5.05 3.9 15 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1728 Scotish Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 5.15
Water Qts: 13.65 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 12.92 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.51 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 120
Mash-out Rest Temp : 74 Time: 20
Sparge Temp : 80 Time: 20

Total Mash Volume L: 16.36 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

This was brewed on the 22/2/04 and is only now becoming drinkable(or Im getting used to it??) near 2 years later.

Maybe 2 kits, and some dark crystal and some sugar and some hops (EKG).

Use a Brit yeast.

Keep at least 6 months b4 drinking.

Had a similar beer tonite, 4+ yrs old.

Seth

Linz, i like that idea. I suppose i am gunna have to use my precious Maris otter, but in the end i spose it will probably turn out better. It's only a small batch, so i might not need too much. Also, im sorry about the dragons mate, they are in top form and playing well, but once they come up against the tigers, well, its season over hahahah :p . But seriously, being a tigers fan its an odd feeling for them to have gotten so far, and hopefully, they can go further. Fingers crossed!!

MJE,
My advice would be to make as big a batch as you can. Barlewwines take a longtime to reach their peak. With only 10 litres chances you will be just starting to enjoy it and it will be all gone.
cheers
Darren

Good day
My approach is to make a beer that you want to drink. Therefore use the best ingredients for the style you want. It will take just as much time and effort regardless of the finish quality.

Well, i decided to do it. TODAY!. My missus is in tamworth visitiong her sister, and isnt due back til tonight, so, after thinking about it, i thought "bugger it", and im now boiling away!!. Here's what i did using leftovers etc:

1.1 kg joe white ale 19.1%
1.5kg joe white pils 26.1%
160g Cara munich 1, 2.8%
150g Dark crystal 2.6%
340g Cara pils 5.9%
200g amber malt 3.5%
150g white sugar 2.6%
150g brown sugar 2.6%
2kg Maris otter 34.8%

FHW 25g halleratu
FWH 18g Hersbrucker

17g Target 11% 60 min
20g Target 30 min.

71.8 IBU's
12 litres finished volume

Pitching onto a porter yeast cake of wyeast irish ale. I will also keep some slurry to pitch into the 2ndary.

340g carapils seemed a bit much, but it was the last of what i had,so i just chucked it all in, same with the hops, i've had em for a while, so i want to use them up. I will be dry hopping around 30- 50g of willamette or something similar.

Wish me luck!!

I tried something similar last year as an experiment.

Two tins of Goldrush Mabotts ale, a kilo of dextrose, some crystal grain,
fuggles hops boiled for a few minutes for flavour and a liquid ale yeast, I forget which one, don't have the notes to hand. Made up to 15 litres.

After six months in the bottle, it smelled like chutney and tasted worse.

Disgusting. The only beer I have thrown out in the last two years.

Next time will be a proper ag barley wine. Will make a big mash up, use the first runnings for a small batch of barley wine and the rest of the runnings for a mild.

Hope yours turns out better than mine.

Ended up with 12 litres of 1090 wort. Couldn't help myself, and sparged an extra 2 litres of wort, i think that's why im 15 points short :angry: . Anyway, its definately the biggest beer i've ever made, and with 75 ibu's ( i added some cascades at 5 mins ), it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

mje1980 said:
Linz, i like that idea. I suppose i am gunna have to use my precious Maris otter, but in the end i spose it will probably turn out better. It's only a small batch, so i might not need too much. Also, im sorry about the dragons mate, they are in top form and playing well, but once they come up against the tigers, well, its season over hahahah :p . But seriously, being a tigers fan its an odd feeling for them to have gotten so far, and hopefully, they can go further. Fingers crossed!!
[post="75688"][/post]​

Well dont we have it ass about, you in the Gong being a tigers supporter and me in westie/tigger territory being a Steelers(yeah saints) supporter.

POL, where you being a bit harsh only giving it 6 months??

Yeah it is a bit odd! haha. Gunna be good the next few weeks!!. Fingers crossed the eagles win and kick out the cowboys!!. Rather be playing the eagles in a few weeks than the cowboys again!, they will bounce back im sure.

P.S barley wine has dropped to 1014!, Would never have thought it would come down that far!, that's 76 gravity points!!!, Just goes to show what can happen when you throw 12 litres of wort onto an 18 litre batch yeast cake!. Next time i'll only use half!

Go the tigers!!!!!

Back