Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Bays (Gluten Free) Grain Kits

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by Schikitar, 5/7/19.

1. Schikitar

Posted 5/7/19
    Just wondering if anyone has brewed with any of the Two Bays gluten free grain kits?
    https://www.twobays.beer/collections/brew-packs

I want to get a gluten free beer on the go for a few friends and family, a mix of gluten sensitive, intolerant and coeliac individuals (don't know why I know so many!). Just not sure what style to go for and if the kits are any good or not. Apparently their house beers are tasty but I've not yet tried them..

Cheers!

2. goatchop41

Posted 5/7/19
    Their beers are bloody fantastic. Their saison at GABS was one of the better beers that I had on the day.

I think that it would be safe to assume that the grain packs would be good quality - Two Bays have import rights to quite a few GF malts, and Richard seems to be a stickler for quality

scomet and Schikitar like this.
  3. Schikitar

Posted 6/7/19
    Thanks for the feedback @goatchop41 - I've decided I'll brew the stout and have ordered the pack (plus an extra kilo of rice malt to beef up the ABV), will report back on the process and end result!

4. bingggo

Posted 6/7/19
    Does the grain come milled?

Cheers,
    B

5. Schikitar

Posted 7/7/19
    Not sure but I'll let you know when it arrives..

6. bingggo

Posted 9/7/19
    I exchanged some fb messages with the Brewery. They don't have capacity to mill it for homebrewers, and said in their small system they had sometimes used a blender because the grains are so fine (leading to a much finer result which is ok).

I would obviously not want to run it through my barley mill (even if I could dial it down fine enough) because I am sure it is encrusted with gluten :)

Schikitar likes this.
  7. bingggo

Posted 9/7/19
    For the non-coeliacs, and the brave coeliac risk-takers, adding Clarity Ferm to normal barley wort with the yeast is a possible option.

citizensnips and Schikitar like this.
  8. Schikitar

Posted 9/7/19
    Okay, this could be a problem and I hadn't considered that, hmmmmmm.. not sure what to do now! This seems like a bit of an oversight on their behalf, surely they could just have a dedicated mill for their customers like a LHBS does..

9. Schikitar

Posted 10/7/19
    Sorry for another post, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations around the enzymes to use in the mash?

10. bingggo

Posted 8/8/19
    I have used my Thermomix blender function to do several very short pulse blends to crush small (250g) amounts of grain when I was doing extract plus spec grain. Would be a slight pain on 3-5 kg but doable I guess :)

Schikitar likes this.
  11. Schikitar

Posted 9/8/19
    Just updating my thread now that the brew is almost finished!

I learnt a lot along the way, firstly there was a LOT of cleaning, I had to mill the grains myself so I had to strip down my mill and thoroughly clean it, then when it came to milling the I had to really fiddle with the gap to get the crush right for the millet and then again for the buckwheat and rice, a real pain but got there eventually. The enzymes my LHBS shop gave me were rubbish, so I did everything according the instructions, hit my OG (1.062) etc., but did not get good conversion which I didn't find out until the S04 yeast stalled out at 1.050. Wasn't sure what to do so I contacted the brewer who provides the recipes to Two Bays and he suggested I try some different enzymes and US-05. I got hold of some Whitelabs Ultra-Ferm and tossed that in with a fresh packet of US-05 and a day later it was off again but it was a slow burn, after a week and a half it got down to 1.022 and that's where I've left it, tastes pretty good so I started the cold crash this morning.

The guys from Two Bays were really helpful as was the brewer, the grains arrived promptly and nicely packaged. It's been a challenging and costly brew so I hope my self-proclaimed "glutard" family/friends enjoy my "Never Go Full Glutard" stout! Oh, and in my conversations with the CEO I helped solidify a distributor in Tassie for their beers so at least I won't have to brew another one!

bevan and wide eyed and legless like this.