Turning A Pressure Sprayer Into A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I know that sosman has done this but i was wondering of it could me done simpler. Could you just attach a gun/tap to the outlet hose? I would carbonate the beer as normal in a keg then transfer it into the sprayer. Then to dispense it by using the pump. Any advise would be great.

Scotty

Scotty

Another source here

Looks a little easier. That said with a lilttle extra effort Sosman's methods may provide you with a far more durable/reliable option. :beerbang:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Scotty

Another source here

Looks a little easier. That said with a lilttle extra effort Sosman's methods may provide you with a far more durable/reliable option. :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="84215"][/post]​

Interestingly, the article mentions a 20 litre garden spray pack. All I have ever seen is a 5 litre version. If I could obtain a 20 litre bottle, that would be worth playing with. Has anyone ever seen a 20 litre version? If so, any hints on where??

M

I made a six litre one like this! God bless portable beer!
Not real cost effective but, when you compare the price of building this, to buying an eighteen litre one! :party:

124_2477_IMG.JPG

minikeg2.JPG

portagas.JPG

mandrakar said:
warrenlw63 said:
Scotty

Another source here

Warren -
[post="84215"][/post]​

Interestingly, the article mentions a 20 litre garden spray pack. All I have ever seen is a 5 litre version. If I could obtain a 20 litre bottle, that would be worth playing with. Has anyone ever seen a 20 litre version? If so, any hints on where??
[post="84231"][/post]​
Well if I wanted to lug 20 L to a party I would just fire up a corny keg.

There is a bit of tinkering involved with my party keg but it has served me well. Keeps pressure better than some cornies.

Since we are posting pics ...
PartyKeg.jpg

I also splashed out $12 for the 7 L version. I just swap over the gear.

Scotty, I think you could make your idea work without too much problem. In fact once my soda stream bottle fresh aired me half way through and I just poured it out, no pump required. Beer in contact with air like that probably only has a shelf life of a day or two.

Please buy a new one and not use a second hand one that has had round-up or worse ant poison in it

I can tell that from your avatar *(
My concern is that some people will come here for the first time looking for a "cheap" bottling alternative and think I have one of those in the shed!
Just wash it out and it will be great!!
A new one is essential

I stuck a pluto gun on the end of the hose of a Bunnings sprayer (8L and 5L), and it's fine for parties etc just using air to pressurise.

Not sure how it would go with a really gassy beeer, I suspect it would be a nightmare, but for low carbonation ales it works a treat with little to no modification effort.

I did originally try to use the spray gun that comes with it, I sawed off most of the shaft so there was no nozzle, but it leaked and foamed like nobody's business. The pluto gun (or at least the 'cobra' type picnic tap) is the only essential mod IMO.

Fair enough,
I dont think these work out much cheaper than getting 3 gal kegs from the states ($40ish landed) unless you have the parts already.
Scotty if you replace the plastic tube pick up tube with beva tube you could get away with adding a gun and dispensing with air,but the beer wont last long

poppa joe said:
are the pressure sprayers food grade...???????????/
pj
[post="84301"][/post]​

Dunno. Just need to think way people are going to think when you serve it it out of a pressuure sprayer or a keg?

technically no they are not . food grade plastics are marked saying so .
this is because we live in the land of liability and we have to have every thing marked as such .
but then saying that the material use is the same plastic as your fermenter "polypropline"which is also used in "black garden plumbing and now in major plumbing in new houses the grey piping (but at a higher pressure rating)

so as long as you clean the release agents out of the containers with methalated spirits first .then yes you now have a food grade container ready for detergent and sterilizing before adding your brew all labled food grade containers are cleaned removing the die release agent before marketing .but garden and plumbing pipes and containers are not as this would add to the cost .also food grade containers have a more rigorous Q/C mechanisium in place as well looking at defects.
but you can do all that your self.

just some info for you to absorb

AND DONT USED A SECONDHAND ONE OUT OF THE SHED OR ANYONE ELSES SHED FOR THAT MATTER.BUY A NEW ONE IN A SEALED BOX .

delboy

I confer with delby ,in as far as,
AND DONT USED A SECONDHAND ONE OUT OF THE SHED OR ANYONE ELSES SHED FOR THAT MATTER.BUY A NEW ONE IN A SEALED BOX .
D

Aren't most fermenters & the sprayers these days HDPE which is number 2 on the recycle code???

As far as a 6 litre party keg goes, I find it hard to beat a Tap a Draft. Added bonus of being able to throw a nitrogen charge in for a kilkenny or a stout if you so desire. Granted, the initial cost is a bit high, but @ $17 a bottle thereafter, the cost quickly reduces....

I made a modified version of Sosmans Party Keg, when you take out the pump gear it will hold nearer 7ltrs, I can gas it with CO2 from Soda Stream Bottle or use a bike pump to pressurise it if I have run out of gas. I also use it for cleaning out my lines on the fridge.

Cheers
BradT

Ok, i went to bunnings and bought a NEW pressure sprayer and all i did was attach the pluto gun to the hose. I have only tested it with water but it seems to work.
DSC02150.JPG

Scotty

Back