Turning A Dry Cider Sweet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrakey

Reaction score
Okay - I'm having a party on sunday night - the kind that involves 5 corny kegs \o/

I've got a Scrumpy Style Cider (with Cinnamon) - problem is it that it's rather strong, acidic and dry. It's decent but a bit 'unbalanced'
So I thought, if this was a sweet cider - things might taste a lot better.

Now I've got a 1.5L bottle of Pure, Canadian Maple Syrup... How much should I add to sweeten the cider back up?

Give us your opinions ladies...

I recently did a dry cider in the keg and then back sweetened in the glass with apple & blackcurrant cordial.
That way each person could make it as sweet or as dry as they liked.
Cheers
Robbo

Okay - I'm having a party on sunday night - the kind that involves 5 corny kegs \o/

I've got a Scrumpy Style Cider (with Cinnamon) - problem is it that it's rather strong, acidic and dry. It's decent but a bit 'unbalanced'
So I thought, if this was a sweet cider - things might taste a lot better.

Now I've got a 1.5L bottle of Pure, Canadian Maple Syrup... How much should I add to sweeten the cider back up?

Give us your opinions ladies...

Never backsweetened with maple but the best way to work out that kind of thing (I have added things to brews and used this method) is to pour a small glass and sweeten/add to taste. Use the same proportion in the main batch.

I reckon I'd be using fresh apple juice to sweeten however.

Keep some of the dry stuff dry.

Get a diabetic to piss in it.............it'll taste just like sweet Cider :D

I reckon I'd be using fresh apple juice to sweeten however.
Yep, ^this. It seems strange but sweet apple juice is a really good way to sweeten a dry cider. Whodathunkit?

I was planning that - even have some apple juice concentrate...

However, I thought the woodiness of the Maple might nicely complement the Cinnamon in the Scrumpy...

Then try a small amount in a glass and see. Really is the best method for this kind of thing.

And report back on the flavor or what you end up using as well as your recipe for the scrumpy

Back