Tube For Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well its all happening, I've got my AG setup and kegs on the way... now just need to get sorted out on some smaller gear. So for this its time for a G&G order!

Last brew I washed out my hydrometer tube with water straight from the kettle. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I found out shortly after that both my hand and the hydrometer tube have a similar threshold for temperature.

So my hand has healed, but the tube has not. So I guess I need a new one!

Looking at the G&G site, they seem to have three options:
Hydrometer test jar deluxe $4.50
Borosillicate Test Jar 100ml $12.95
Borosillicate Test Jar 200ml $19.95

Not having seen any of them, I have no idea which to go. So what should I get people?!

Thanks,

Matt

mobrien said:
Hey guys,

I need a new one!

Not having seen any of them, I have no idea which to go. So what should I get people?!

Thanks,

Matt
[post="66013"][/post]​

Try a lab glassware supply company. 100ml glass measuring cylinder borosilicate glass $5.75 at livingstone (www.livingstone.com.au)

Cheers
Dave

You want to get as small a test jar as you can fit your hydrometer into otherwise you will be throwing away a lot of product. Just remind yourself that 200ml is a nice glass of beer.

I've nearly bought borosilicate ones off G&G and on ebay, but ended up buying a plastic one from Northern Brewer in the States while I was ordering some other stuff from them. To be honest, I don't think a glass one would last me long before getting broken.

ou want to get as small a test jar as you can fit your hydrometer into otherwise you will be throwing away a lot of product. Just remind yourself that 200ml is a nice glass of beer.
Too narrow a tube runs a danger of distorting the reading, as the hydrometer sticks to the sides.

Sean said:
ou want to get as small a test jar as you can fit your hydrometer into otherwise you will be throwing away a lot of product. Just remind yourself that 200ml is a nice glass of beer.
Too narrow a tube runs a danger of distorting the reading, as the hydrometer sticks to the sides.
[post="66038"][/post]​

I find 100ml is a pretty good size for my hydrometer (pretty standard one). Deep enough and not too narrow. 200ml would be a waste.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Sean said:
[post="66038"][/post]​

I find 100ml is a pretty good size for my hydrometer (pretty standard one). Deep enough and not too narrow. 200ml would be a waste.

Cheers
Dave
[post="66039"][/post]​
I didn't mean to imply that 100ml was too small, just that it is possible for a tube to be too small.

mobrien said:

Thanks,

Matt
[post="66013"][/post]​
alternatively, if you haven't already got one, you could cut your losses and buy a refractometer. a refractometer is one of the best investments you could make. i haven't used the hydrometer since acquiring a refractometer.

$12 tube, $75 refractometer..... and the refractometer comes in a case. And looks cool. And is "gear".

So who else needs a refractometer?! Should get a few from the states all at once?

Matt

Been down that road mobrien. The bloke at IBrew (down down Southport way --- Here) reckoned that his 100mm calibrated test jar will withstand boiling water but I have still to put it to the test. I use a beer & wine hydrometer & filling the jar up to the 85mm mark just gets the hydrometer off the bottom. The picture of his test jars is a bit misleading as it seems to show no 100mm jar <_< . He hit me $14.90 for the 100mm one. Just checked a moment ago & the tube only holds 120mm full. :) It's got a good stable base too.

:beer:

mobrien said:
$12 tube, $75 refractometer..... and the refractometer comes in a case. And looks cool. And is "gear".

So who else needs a refractometer?! Should get a few from the states all at once?

Matt
[post="66059"][/post]​

Mobrien,
Looks like my last post was a little late. Depending on the quality & cost of a bulk purchased refractometer I will take part in a bulk purchase with you & as many others as we can get. Are you sure of the cost? The bloke at IBrew showed me his :ph34r: & from memory it was around the $150 mark. Keep in touch on this. :D

:beer:

LOL - I think I will still get a jar for the hydro, no point in not being able to use it!

But the refactometer... there are some on ebay from the states for 54 + 18 postage. They look like the ones I used to use when I worked at uni, and they were pretty good. I've emailed the guy to see how much they would be if I got a few. Stay tuned...

Matt

I asked the bloke at Ibrew about refractometers a few weeks ago and he quoted $195.
Got 1 shipped from the States via ebay for $74.

nifty

i did a bulk purchase of refractometers from Instruments Depot on Ebay - get the 0-32Brix super clear scale - on an order of 10 with freight worked out to from memory 55.00 ea.

They were very helpfull.
Refractometers are really good.
Doc made up a refractometer to Original Gravity Chart - most excellent.

Refractometers are really good for OG, but they are considerably less accurate than a hydrometer for FG (and stages on the way). The necessary calculations include assumptions about the amount of alchohol produced, that are not necessarly accurate.

Sean said:
Refractometers are really good for OG, but they are considerably less accurate than a hydrometer for FG (and stages on the way). The necessary calculations include assumptions about the amount of alchohol produced, that are not necessarly accurate.
[post="66073"][/post]​

Pro Mash has all the calculations worked out for you so its no big deal, and if they havent, all the other software writers out there should do the same

I got my refractometer from abay $55, and its a bloody ripper, there is a guy in oz selling them on there

ozbrewer said:
Pro Mash has all the calculations worked out for you so its no big deal, and if they havent, all the other software writers out there should do the same
[post="66074"][/post]​

Beersmith does too. I used to double check FG readings against a hydrometer, until I dropped the hydrometer :ph34r: . Bloody fragile things, eh?

The converted refractometer readings matched my hydrometer readings consistently.

ozbrewer said:
Sean said:
[post="66073"][/post]​

[post="66074"][/post]​
I wasn't saying the calculations are difficult, but they are, by their nature, approximate. It's not possible to accurately calculate FG from a refractometer reading, because there are too many unknowns, such as the exact amount of alcohol produced.

Tony M said:
You want to get as small a test jar as you can fit your hydrometer into otherwise you will be throwing away a lot of product. Just remind yourself that 200ml is a nice glass of beer.
[post="66032"][/post]​
Well at my place, my family think nothing of me taking a swig from a hydrometer flask at 8 am. Anything else and they would sign me up for AA. Anyone have a pint sized hydrometer flask?

Back