Tube for aeration stone kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
When using a stock standard aquarium style aerator with stone on the end, I find the line connected to the stone just wants to coil up, making it difficult to get the stone to stay at the bottom of the wort.

Anyone have an easy solution? A tube between the stone and the line would do the trick, but where to find a suitable tube (petshops have plastic ones for a couple of bucks, but hardly food grade, or stainless steel would do the trick, but perhaps overkill).

Or perhaps a weight attached near the stone?

Or some sort of rod attached to the outside of the line to prevent it from coiling up.

Real world suggestions and suppliers appreciated.

Last time I was out getting a gas refill from Steve at Brewman he had a few stainless rods with a bend in the end to hook over the edge of the fermenter to use for this purpose. I bought one off him, but can't remember the exact cost (approx 25 bucks I think). He only had a few and I am not sure if he is planning on making any more but it is probably worth shooting him a PM or email if you are interested. Admittedly I haven't used mine yet but seems like a good concept.

I can take of a photo of it this evening once I am home if you like?

Adam.

I just used a couple of stainless washers slipped over the tube, easy to sanitise and easy to buy (Bunnings etc.)

themonkeysback said:
Last time I was out getting a gas refill from Steve at Brewman he had a few stainless rods with a bend in the end to hook over the edge of the fermenter to use for this purpose. I bought one off him, but can't remember the exact cost (approx 25 bucks I think). He only had a few and I am not sure if he is planning on making any more but it is probably worth shooting him a PM or email if you are interested. Admittedly I haven't used mine yet but seems like a good concept.

I can take of a photo of it this evening once I am home if you like?

Adam.
Hi Adam,

Yes pic when you get home would be good, and I am sure will be of use to others as well.

Craftbrewer has MFL airstones now
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3858

I imagine a length of stainless tube (maybe a dip tube would be big enough?) with the inside tapped to fit a 1/4" thread would work perfectly, then just connect your stone to one end, air hose to the other
Should more than heavy enough to weight itself down

How deep is your fv?

If you have some copper or stainless straight pipe laying around you could cut a hole through the pipe at the bottom end for the stone to go through and then just have the pipe standing vertically inside the fv?

Hi guys

Those stainless airstones are great, but I've yet to find an aquarium-type airpump that provides sufficient pressure to reliably force air though a 2 micron SS airstone (let alone a 0.5 micron). I could occasionally get an "Aqua One 12000" pump to work, but more often that not it would just bork at it (even putting the stone in boiling water to get it started). And that is a rather large pump as far as aquariums go (it has 4 outlets, and either blocking all but one up, or forcing all 4 outlets to the stone was a disaster).

Although it works with aquarium airstones, I found out the hard way that you can only cold sanitise the dark grey aquarium stone (I ruined a batch of Bohemian Pilsener putting the airstone in for the last 10 mins of the boil and found it all breaks up into tiny griitty pieces). May I suggest the best option is to bite the bullet and spend the $140 (??) to get the proper oxygenation kit that comes with the oxygen canister (which is good for 100 batches) and the tubing, oxygen regulator & gauge, and the 0.5 micron SS airstone. The canisters can then be bought from places like Bunnies, I'm told.

Good luck

takai said:
I ran a length of 316SS TIG rod thorugh the hose in mine. Worked well.
Hi Takai, what is the length of the rod?

Two things, I used to put the airline into my HLT to sanitise it and also take out the kinks from rolled up in a bag. This way the stone would always sit on the bottom of the fermenter. The other thing is I switched from the aquarium pump to oxygen and regulator, although, when I use the pump it used to put out enough flow for the stone.

Silicone tubing doesn't tend to coil up like vinyl tubing does. It's much easier to work with.

I use the aeration kit for brewman and have had it since they first came out: http://www.brewman.com.au/web/showproduct.asp?prodid=856

Apparently they attempted to weld the airstone to the end of the rod but the stone just melted. As before I haven't set it up yet but will basically I just cutting the 6mm line and putting the stainless tube in line with a couple of stepless clamps.

No affiliation etc.

Adam.

20151014_182709.jpg

Brew Matt said:
Hi Takai, what is the length of the rod?
Its just 316SS filler rod, i buy it in 1.5m lengths (by the kilo) and just cut a chunk to size. Long enough to dip into the entire fermenter.

Yes like Adam said, I had 4 of the stainless rods made, of which Adam has one.

I took one and the other 2 sold the next day. I have set mine up and used it a few times, and I am very happy with it, I have posted some pics, see below. I have to say it solves the problem explained in the post and makes things really easy especially when doing multiple fermenters like I was. The idea of this was for it to be an accessory for the oxygen aeration kit.

I am completely out but expect some more in on Friday. :)

Probably best I start a thread in the Retail area.

Here is the aeration tube alone.
DSCN6668.JPG

Here it is connected to the Stainless air stone, just using the bits from my original aeration kit, plus a few clamps.
DSCN6669.JPG

And using it in the fermenter:
DSCN6666.JPG

I walked in to an aquarium store and bought a metre of silicone air line. Was a tight squeeze getting it on the barb but doesn't coil, drops straight to the bottom and easy peezy to sanitise. I've never done more than soak it in starsan over countless batches and never had an infection.

takai said:
I ran a length of 316SS TIG rod thorugh the hose in mine. Worked well.
Takai,

Does your aeration setup use standard beer line (5mm internal diameter)? Does having the welding rod inside it to keep it straight have any effect on the airflow going to the stone?

It uses 6mm clamped down as i didnt have any 5mm :) Presumably it has some effect, but would be minimal.

Latest posts

Back