Ttl Using Wyeast 1968 Instead Of 1469?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
I'll be brewing one of the doc's landlord recipes tomorrow and was wondering what everyone's thoughts on using Wyeast 1968 instead of the hard to find 1469 are? I have some 1968 in my yeast collection and after reading Wyeast's site, it seems very similar to the 1469.

Any advice? Will it turn out ok do you think?

I've never used 1968 but if its anything like 1768 then by all means yes, go for it. I think Wyeast say 1968 and 1768 are fairly similar, in fact I have 1968 on my list to try one day having previously found that 1768 is rather good, although it is another strain in the PC range (like 1469) whereas 1968 should be available all the time.
Hope it works out Crunched, the TTLs I've made have been brilliant, so much so that it is now my house ale.
My 2c...

I'll be brewing one of the doc's landlord recipes tomorrow and was wondering what everyone's thoughts on using Wyeast 1968 instead of the hard to find 1469 are? I have some 1968 in my yeast collection and after reading Wyeast's site, it seems very similar to the 1469.

I have noticed stone fruit flavours with 1469 and Pro-103 which you will not get with the 1968.Still you will make a good beer using either.
GB

I did this substitution with my TTL Crunched and it turned out to be a tasty drop indeed - go for it!

I'm sure it will make good beer but I thought 1187 may be a better substitute.
1968 = Fullers yeast, ie from London. Graham Wheeler draws a strong distinction between "northern' and 'southern' yeast strains.
1187 = Ringwood yeast, this is used for many northern-style ales and has similar top-cropping characteristics to 1469.

I made my TTL with 1968 (what i had on hand). Tasted good out of the fermenter. itsin the keg waiting for my return. hopefully its a winner. Given its a low attenuation yeast it should be quite a malty beer and considering i mashed high, should be rather tasty!

I have used both. Either is an excellent yeast, but have differing characteristics, from my experience.
WY1968 gives me very malt accented beers, with little in the way of esters and hops character. I do love this yeast, pitched a batch with it last Monday, and just got some more this week.
WY1469 seems more balanced between malt, esters and hops.
I'd say Ringwood is a closer match to WY1469.

Both drop out really quickly during fermentation, and seem to need a regular wake up call. They sprint for the first big drop in SG, and then take ages to knock off the last few points. I personally don't bottle before at least 2 weeks with these, and more like 3 weeks.

The original Ringwood strain came from the defunct Hull brewery (East Yorkshire). I don't know if they used stone squares there the yeast is surely in the same 'family' although Keighley is so far away from Hull that most Poms would get their car serviced and a couple of new retreads prior to the drive :p . An employee took the yeast with him. The Ringwood brewery is in the South of England, the old North vs South yeast distinction seems to be breaking down. I find that Ringwood does a great Yorkie but the high flocculating 1968 is reported to do a good job. I know Ross swears by it.

Cheers for the replies guys, I'll give the 1968 a go and report back in a few weeks.

I've picked up an activator pack of 1968 for my mild ale that's awaiting an available fermenter, and I decided to get my money's worth by pitching something on the yeastcake... searched the site and found this thread. I've been meaning to make a TTL sometime, and even have a small amount of 1469 in the fridge, but I might just make use of the 1968 instead.

So... what are people's current thoughts on this? @Crunched - how did it turn out? Exact recipe? Changes?

Latest posts

Back